Envelope Printing

cmitchprint

I use tray 3 on our Ricoh 7100SX 5 color. Does an amazing job but Catalog envelopes wrinkle no matter what fuser setting we use. The trick some don't know is the skew detection (edge detection) and double sheet detection has to be turned off for that tray in user tools.

cqb1988

I use tray 3 on our Ricoh 7100SX 5 color. Does an amazing job but Catalog envelopes wrinkle no matter what fuser setting we use. The trick some don't know is the skew detection (edge detection) and double sheet detection has to be turned off for that tray in user tools.
can you run #10 reliably in tray 3? the flap keeps getting caught in the feeding unit on my machine. I don't have wrinkle problem on any size after I removed the buffer pass unit.

Shawnd

We regularly run #10, A-7, A-6, A-2 and the larger 9x12 and 10x13 sizes. The biggest complaint is that is slightly refolds the #10s towards the tail. Pretty slight, but it is there. Runs the "A" sizes great, but we open all, but the A-7s.

On the 9x12 and 10x13s we use the vacuum feed trays, but on everything else we use the top bypass tray.
I went ahead and ordered a 7200E with top bypass tray, I guess I won't get a video to see it running beforehand from you but I will try it once it gets installed. Ricoh says they do not support envelopes from the top bypass and didn't know of anyone doing it in my area doing it but I figure its worth a shot.

Ill post a video if it works so others can see.

msaeger

I went ahead and ordered a 7200E with top bypass tray, I guess I won't get a video to see it running beforehand from you but I will try it once it gets installed. Ricoh says they do not support envelopes from the top bypass and didn't know of anyone doing it in my area doing it but I figure its worth a shot.

Ill post a video if it works so others can see.
I have seen people run catalog size through that tray. I think you will have better luck with the vacuum feed trays on the 7200 than the 7100. The new trays don't have those two metal tabs sticking up that the flaps would get caught on.

Ynot_UK

This may be a dumb question, what’s the difference between an envelope fuser eg Ef-103 and a standard fuser?

jwheeler

This may be a dumb question, what’s the difference between an envelope fuser eg Ef-103 and a standard fuser?
The EF-103 envelope fuser does several things. It automatically changes the settings in the machine to ignore the double sheet detection (yes, you can turn this off manually in the paper tray settings if you don't have an EF-103). Since the machine recognizes the env fuser, it will now limit paper feed to drawer 5 (bottom vacuum feed paper drawer) because this is the straightest path. There is a DIP switch to allow feeding from the other 2 vacuum drawers, though KM warns those drawers aren't officially supported. It also has mechanical differences in that it reduces the pressure on the envelopes so you don't get the wrinkled edges on the tail of the envelope. Additionally, printing long runs of envelopes will produce shouldering lines on your original fuser, so this is equivalent to swapping out the blanket on an offset press. Lastly, for the C1070, envelopes ran at half speed. With the C2070 and C3070 series, they changed it to run full speed.

While swapping a fuser may sound like a hassle, we have it on our b/w KM units and it takes about 1 minute to do the swap. Where you have to wait is for the new fuser to warm up, but that's maybe 5 min or less.

Fun side-note: the fuser roller on a C1070, C2070, C3070 actually oscillates back and forth every print to reduce the effects of shouldering marks.

crajos

I'll backup jwheeler on this. The fuser swap takes hardly any time. KM provides accessories for tray 5 to assist with envelope feeding that are quick installs. The first time we ran envelopes on our C3080 I was very impressed. Full speed and great print quality.

jwheeler

OKI DATA AMERICAS ANNOUNCES END-OF-LIFE NOTIFICATION FOR OKI-BRANDED HARDWARE EFFECTIVE MARCH 31, 2021

So if I'm reading this correctly, OKI is no longer going to sell machines in the Americas? Only service their existing ones? And it only says "for years to come"...that's not very comforting, especially since we just bought a new OKI C942dn this year. This also seems odd considering they have had a big push recently for their wide format line.

Automatically Autonomous Automation

Automatically Autonomous Automation
Although the autonomous car is not quite ready, a lights out print operation is something you can do right now if you have a comprehensive Print MIS (Management Information System). The advantages can put money on your bottom line. So what’s your next step? Link to Article