Envelope Printing

I use tray 3 on our Ricoh 7100SX 5 color. Does an amazing job but Catalog envelopes wrinkle no matter what fuser setting we use. The trick some don't know is the skew detection (edge detection) and double sheet detection has to be turned off for that tray in user tools.

I use tray 3 on our Ricoh 7100SX 5 color. Does an amazing job but Catalog envelopes wrinkle no matter what fuser setting we use. The trick some don't know is the skew detection (edge detection) and double sheet detection has to be turned off for that tray in user tools.
can you run #10 reliably in tray 3? the flap keeps getting caught in the feeding unit on my machine. I don't have wrinkle problem on any size after I removed the buffer pass unit.

We regularly run #10, A-7, A-6, A-2 and the larger 9x12 and 10x13 sizes. The biggest complaint is that is slightly refolds the #10s towards the tail. Pretty slight, but it is there. Runs the "A" sizes great, but we open all, but the A-7s.

On the 9x12 and 10x13s we use the vacuum feed trays, but on everything else we use the top bypass tray.

I went ahead and ordered a 7200E with top bypass tray, I guess I won't get a video to see it running beforehand from you but I will try it once it gets installed. Ricoh says they do not support envelopes from the top bypass and didn't know of anyone doing it in my area doing it but I figure its worth a shot.

Ill post a video if it works so others can see.

I went ahead and ordered a 7200E with top bypass tray, I guess I won't get a video to see it running beforehand from you but I will try it once it gets installed. Ricoh says they do not support envelopes from the top bypass and didn't know of anyone doing it in my area doing it but I figure its worth a shot.

Ill post a video if it works so others can see.
I have seen people run catalog size through that tray. I think you will have better luck with the vacuum feed trays on the 7200 than the 7100. The new trays don't have those two metal tabs sticking up that the flaps would get caught on.

This may be a dumb question, what’s the difference between an envelope fuser eg Ef-103 and a standard fuser?

This may be a dumb question, what’s the difference between an envelope fuser eg Ef-103 and a standard fuser?
The EF-103 envelope fuser does several things. It automatically changes the settings in the machine to ignore the double sheet detection (yes, you can turn this off manually in the paper tray settings if you don't have an EF-103). Since the machine recognizes the env fuser, it will now limit paper feed to drawer 5 (bottom vacuum feed paper drawer) because this is the straightest path. There is a DIP switch to allow feeding from the other 2 vacuum drawers, though KM warns those drawers aren't officially supported. It also has mechanical differences in that it reduces the pressure on the envelopes so you don't get the wrinkled edges on the tail of the envelope. Additionally, printing long runs of envelopes will produce shouldering lines on your original fuser, so this is equivalent to swapping out the blanket on an offset press. Lastly, for the C1070, envelopes ran at half speed. With the C2070 and C3070 series, they changed it to run full speed.

While swapping a fuser may sound like a hassle, we have it on our b/w KM units and it takes about 1 minute to do the swap. Where you have to wait is for the new fuser to warm up, but that's maybe 5 min or less.

Fun side-note: the fuser roller on a C1070, C2070, C3070 actually oscillates back and forth every print to reduce the effects of shouldering marks.

I'll backup jwheeler on this. The fuser swap takes hardly any time. KM provides accessories for tray 5 to assist with envelope feeding that are quick installs. The first time we ran envelopes on our C3080 I was very impressed. Full speed and great print quality.

OKI DATA AMERICAS ANNOUNCES END-OF-LIFE NOTIFICATION FOR OKI-BRANDED HARDWARE EFFECTIVE MARCH 31, 2021

So if I'm reading this correctly, OKI is no longer going to sell machines in the Americas? Only service their existing ones? And it only says "for years to come"...that's not very comforting, especially since we just bought a new OKI C942dn this year. This also seems odd considering they have had a big push recently for their wide format line.

I have seen people run catalog size through that tray. I think you will have better luck with the vacuum feed trays on the 7200 than the 7100. The new trays don't have those two metal tabs sticking up that the flaps would get caught on.

Been playing with the 7200 today and I still have issues with feeding #10 non-window envelopes from the vacuum trays, stops right at the same point as the 7100 even without the metal tabs. I have had better success feeding from the upper feed tray but I am having issues with wrinkles and the envelopes dog earing. Going through settings this morning trying to see if I can work that out.

I wonder sometimes when people complain about their printer being a piece of crap, when they don't mention if they've tried anything else besides call for service. With any printer the stock run through it is by far the biggest factor in the results achieved. The envelope itself is, 99% of the time, the problem. It should not a process where a customer picks the envelope first, then forces the printer to be changed to run that exact envelope. The printer design is relatively fixed. No manufacturer designs a printer not to work. Find the right envelope to match the printer you own. If it won't run one brand, try a different one. If a certain shape of flap doesn't work, find one that does. There are thousands of different envelopes out there. There are hundreds of types of #10 envelopes! I've listened to customers complain that the machine was junk, because the same size envelope, but with a different flap shape didn't run at all, but the previous shape flap ran thousands with no problems. The machine didn't change, the envelope did. No manufacturer has ever stated that their machine will run every envelope ever created, they just state that it will run envelopes.

I wonder sometimes when people complain about their printer being a piece of crap, when they don't mention if they've tried anything else besides call for service. With any printer the stock run through it is by far the biggest factor in the results achieved. The envelope itself is, 99% of the time, the problem. It should not a process where a customer picks the envelope first, then forces the printer to be changed to run that exact envelope. The printer design is relatively fixed. No manufacturer designs a printer not to work. Find the right envelope to match the printer you own. If it won't run one brand, try a different one. If a certain shape of flap doesn't work, find one that does. There are thousands of different envelopes out there. There are hundreds of types of #10 envelopes! I've listened to customers complain that the machine was junk, because the same size envelope, but with a different flap shape didn't run at all, but the previous shape flap ran thousands with no problems. The machine didn't change, the envelope did. No manufacturer has ever stated that their machine will run every envelope ever created, they just state that it will run envelopes.

I understand your point BUT at some level people need to be able to actually operate. A user of the printer shouldn't have to try 30 different styles of envelopes to find the one that the machine accepts. If the manufacturer says the printer will run envelopes but really means this printer will only run envelopes that meet these specifications then they need to be more clear and provide those specifications upfront. Clarity is required to avoid wasting people's times and preventing people from saying that the machine/manufacturer is bad. IMHO the manufacturer/machine IS bad if they don't provide at a minimum that level of clarity.

I understand your point BUT at some level people need to be able to actually operate. A user of the printer shouldn't have to try 30 different styles of envelopes to find the one that the machine accepts. If the manufacturer says the printer will run envelopes but really means this printer will only run envelopes that meet these specifications then they need to be more clear and provide those specifications upfront. Clarity is required to avoid wasting people's times and preventing people from saying that the machine/manufacturer is bad. IMHO the manufacturer/machine IS bad if they don't provide at a minimum that level of clarity.
But that's the whole point. The manufacturers do test many, many different envelopes, but they cannot be expected to test thousands of envelopes, and then document all of them. They customer selects the machine, and when they buy it, they accept responsibility for finding the correct stock to run in it. Remember also that paper companies change their stocks all the time, and label it as the same material. Paper is perishable also, it changes as it ages, drying out, curling, absorbing moisture, etc. Envelopes are all of these factors times ten. No manufacturer can take responsibility for stock, except for in general terms.
Your success running envelopes is pretty close to 100% dependent on the condition and quality of the envelope, not the printer.

We regularly run #10, A-7, A-6, A-2 and the larger 9x12 and 10x13 sizes. The biggest complaint is that is slightly refolds the #10s towards the tail. Pretty slight, but it is there. Runs the "A" sizes great, but we open all, but the A-7s.

On the 9x12 and 10x13s we use the vacuum feed trays, but on everything else we use the top bypass tray.

@kdw75 I somehow overlooked that you had issues with dogearing on the #10's, on mine it is about 2mm off on the tail end and we have tracked it down to happening right before the envelope gets to the transfer roller, it is buckling the envelope causing the flap to open up slightly.

Have you had any success in fixing it short of running flap open on #10's?

On our V 2100s the tech showed us how to put a folded piece of cardstock into the machine right after the fuser to keep it from dogearring the flaps. Works perfectly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back