Epson 10600 Ultra chrome ink blotches

wonderings

We have the model listed above, we dont use it alot, and its been very dependable the last 4 years or so. I am getting some ink blotches, or spots that show up when it begins to print and then disappear half an inch up. Its happening on the bottom right where the sheet starts. I have no idea how to even clean anything or to see what is causing this. Anyone have an idea to what is causing this and what I should be looking at to clean?

Thanks

Spectrecom is an Epson Pro Focus Dealer here in S. California...we service Epsons and so in my opinion...

....Epson heads don't last forever...typically when a head starts to wear out you will get excess ink out the head and a build up on the edges which can cause blotches on paper...

You probably need a head replacement, cap assembly etc., I estimate a complete service is $2000 from your local Epson rep...you will have a new 10600 but is it worth it?

Thanks for the reply. I think at the price point we would just upgrade the unit. But, having done some searching and asking on some different forums, I was lead to take a look inside. I moved the print head to left and had a look at what I could see. There was some ink build up infront of where the print head rests. I dont know the technical name for it, but there was a fair bit of it. I cleaned it up as best I could and the problem seems to be gone. Hopefully that was it. Any idea on what the average life span of the print heads are? We dont print alot with this unit, maybe a few posters a month 24 x 38 in size.

Maybe you printed on something thick which deposited ink and paper fibers on the head, is that possible??

Hopefully it's gone for good but not likely, it probably will come back...the ink came from somewhere like oil dripping from underneath a car...

We've had this kind of problem fairly often, and cleaning the cleaning assembly/squeegee, and sometimes parking the printhead on a wet cheesecloth, followed by cleaning cycles usually corrects the issue.

This was the mark we were getting:
inkblotches.jpg

We have not switched or used anything but the sam 8 mil photosatin paper in 3 years. All is good now, but I will be keeping a close eye on anything we print out.

....Epson heads don't last forever...typically when a head starts to wear out you will get excess ink out the head and a build up on the edges which can cause blotches on paper...

You probably need a head replacement, cap assembly etc., I estimate a complete service is $2000 from your local Epson rep...you will have a new 10600 but is it worth it?

Do these blotches resemble the image I posted above? Its only on the right (when facing the unit) that it happens. Really hoping its not the print heads.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back