Epson Pro 9880 Issue

We our using a Epson Pro 9880 for customer proofs, and press proofs. It seems like we've had to run the cleaning cycle way to much, besides that auto clean is on. There are two stocks we use 24# Coated Bond, and Premium Semigloss Photo-paper. There seems to be a banding coming out on the Semigloss photo paper more then the 24# Coated bond. Again auto clean is turned on and I run a nozzle check weekly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good inexpensive gloss paper to print on, or setting to change on epson itself without wasting ink doing these repeated cleaning cycles??

Hello,

From your text i can clearly understand that u use your Epson stylus Pro 9880 for proofing, but tell me which proofing software drives the printer?

The Epsons will band if the nozzles aren't all clear. Whether you see it depends on the artwork, the color that is out, and to some extent I guess the paper. I'd guess the "dot gain" on your bond paper is masking the problem somewhat. Maybe take a look at the temp/humidity in the area where you run it?

-sean

ok

Are you using bi-directional printing with your Rampage - to check this u will have to print one small image directly from photoshop or any other application select the printer resolution as 720 X 720 DPI and print in uni-direction. Tell me if u can see banding on this image also.

if u see banding on the image printed from phtoshop then its something to do with the printer not with your proofing application. in this case u can go to the printer driver and search for an option which says feed adjustment. by adjusting this feed adjustment u can gain control over the banding.

Banding happens for two reasons,
1) Nozzle blockage.
2) Improper paper feed adjustment.

if u do not see banding on the image printed using photoshop then u have to explore your RAMpage to reach the printer setting and de-activate your bi-directional printing if its been selected and put it on uni-directional printing.
Yes, this will slow down the printing speed but u will get proof of better quality for sure!

-Manohar Singh .M

Yes it is set to bidirectional in Rampage profile, like I said before the banding is occurring more on our gloss stock then the 24# Coated Bond Stock. I will run through the paper feed settings to see if that make's a difference. Again nozzle check is run weekly.

There is a simple way to tell if it is a blocked channel or not. Put the Epson driver on on some computer, if you do not have it already, and in the Utilities section print a manual nozzle check. This won't attempt to clean anything and will use essentially no ink and take about 10 seconds.

Again nozzle check is run weekly.

I run the nozzle check every 4 proofs. Sometimes I drop it down to every 2. Once a week is too low IMO.

Do you have humidity control?

Do you reset the Platen Gap when you swap the paper out?

How much time between proofs?

yes, there will be a little banding on coated bond also, because of the absorption factor its not seen much. When it come to glossy, it has very less absorption, so its seen more. May be putting it on to uni-directional will solve the issue.
:)
All the Best
-Manohar

Looks like I'll try the manual nozzle check from the epson driver, and also run a nozzle check more often then one week. I appreciate all your feedback. Thank you

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back