Epson WT7900

The printer is practically the same with the well known SP7900. The 2 light blacks and the matt black have been replaced by the white ink and the 2 cleaning cartridges. The one cleans the pump of the white ink while the other the printhead. The white ink needs to be removed and shaken once a week (indicator on the printers panel). The driver of the printer is for communication purposes only (like the GS-6000), no printing is possible so a RIP is mandatory. The printing speed is half compared to 7900 and this is because the half front (or back) nozzles are dedicated to print the white ink and the others the colored inks.
I operated the printer with an EFI Colorproof XF RIP but I believe other RIPs will have the same features. I could choose between 2 modes, white on color or color on white. This controls the printing order and EFI suggests the white on color mode (first the color and then the white on top). There were options to print more or less white (resulting to a more solid or more transparent result), or add color to the white (in CMYK percentage). The cost per copy is about half compared to Approval (according to Epson a 24'' x 20'' print costs about 17€ on the Clear proof film, while on Approval it costs about 35€).
Printing paper is possible but fine art or plain coated papers are not reccomended.
It was easy to get an excellent proof on a semimatte paper (both visually and by measurement) and the result on a transaparency was also very good. I'm stiil waiting for the Epson Clear Proof Film to print which I will use for proofing.

The cost per proof price will vary dependent on the media used, ie, Epson CrystalClear film is roughly one third of the price of the ClearProof film previously quoted. Also to consider is that when adding additional Spot colours to the Kodak Approval, you are increasing the cost per proof whereas the additional cost for multiple Spot colours on the Epson is minimal in comparison. Metallic, shrink film and sticky back substrates are all due for release in the coming months

With regards to RIP's, EFI, GMG and Star Proof seem to be the main solutions to date (the former two as they have a "Dot" option, the latter as it is a pure "Dot" proofing solution, like the Kodak Approval).

As to the market the Kodak Approval has traditionally targeted (Packaging I guess), we have produced proofs at 4000 resolution, 200lpi and the quality is outstanding. Even proofing high quality raster files which have been produced with the new the Esko HD Flexo screening, the dot quality in the highlight (stochastic) and midtone/shadows (AM) is also very sharp, impressive and representative.

Due to the properties of the white ink, it is also easy to adjust the density - running at 100%, the white is totally opaque but this can be adjusted to mimic the press/media conditions (ie. Low water/solvent ink viscosity for Flexo/Gravure, when printing Dry offset...etc) - dependent on the RIP used in front.

So the market would be Kodak Approval customers but the low price of the device should bring white ink and multi substrate proofing to the masses - From Large corps to smaller Label printers.

Anyone to share delta-E

Anyone to share delta-E

Will there be sharing of delta-E here for the said configuration? Also, how the packaging digital proof be cut?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back