Esko R 4 Upgrade

mschilling

We have upgraded now, and all seems to work ok, at least from the backstage end of it. I'm not using packedge, but the rip seems to work smoothly on my epfs so far, so good. I watched the video on using the viewer and it looks very impressive and fast. I tried out the compare at first look is ok, but I haven't tried it on one bit tifs yet. They talk about prepping the 1 bits for viewing, which sounds a little awkward, or is that something that can be integrated into the creation of the one bits from the start? Even though Dot Spy is showing its age with its PPC code, it still works efficiently for taking a quick look. Anybody else out there enjoying this nice upgrade?

DotSpy 4 is now Universal Binary.

We don't have BackStage (we use Nexus). But I did like the look of the viewer, especially how you can compare an Ilustrator file to 1-Bit data.

Agree with you that it was odd how you had to 'prepare' the tif for viewing first.

Esko R4 issue

Esko R4 issue

I just upgraded and everything went smoothly except for Plato 7.4. Crosshairs are set to an off white and change it to another color. Also in plate layout once you set a sheet size and position your image you cannot go back and change sheet size and have graphics and smartmarks stay centered also???

Wow, this is truly a breakthru, being able to compare files with precision. I compared a newly normalized pdf with a pickup lores pdf, and it clearly showed the change, with no waiting. And, unlike clumsy photoshop layers, I could control the inks (varnishes) which would otherwise obscure the artwork. Next I'll try comparing to one bits, and let you know how that works, although one bits are (hopefully) used less than pdfs for finals. cheers to esko, well done!

Hi Guys - EskoArtwork here - thanks for the comments.
About the BackStage Viewer. The FAQ on the "Prepare for Viewing" is one that our staff can answer. I think I did in the Demo movie (BackStage Viewer - EskoArtwork) and in the PowerPoint on EskoLink. In short, this task *has* to be run on RIP data and *can* also (rarely?) can be used for non-RIP data as well. In both cases it serves to speed up the initial opening of the file. The trigerring of this task can be automated as well. It's all about - depending on your workflow, file types and QC needs - making sure you do not have to wait too many seconds to see the file open. Hope this helps.

I love this viewer! Good work Esko. The one bit viewing worked fine, and maybe we can integrate the preparing of data along with the rendering of the one bits to simplify the checking process. On my mac client, I have the problem of the measuring tool disappearing until I stop moving the mouse, and then it appears. Any fix for that yet? Also, btw, the command (apple) - w key does not seem to work to close the viewer window. Is there a way to nudge the two views when comparing? I figured out how to use the ruler, but it never seems to come out right the first shot. Also, is it possible to scale one of the views when comparing? What would be great is the 2 point transform tool similar to the one in Artpro.

Last edited:
I guess everyone knows about registration colour from illustrator changing to a "new" spot colour, not sure about when this happens though.

I love this viewer! Good work Esko. The one bit viewing worked fine, and maybe we can integrate the preparing of data along with the rendering of the one bits to simplify the checking process. On my mac client, I have the problem of the measuring tool disappearing until I stop moving the mouse, and then it appears. Any fix for that yet? Also, btw, the command (apple) - w key does not seem to work to close the viewer window. Is there a way to nudge the two views when comparing? I figured out how to use the ruler, but it never seems to come out right the first shot. Also, is it possible to scale one of the views when comparing? What would be great is the 2 point transform tool similar to the one in Artpro.

Don't you love that viewer? It can also view Artpro files :)
I like the suggestion about the rendering, but maybe it can be automated as Wim mentionned.

Best to check with support if your problems are known, maybe there is a hotfix available.

PS. DotSpy 4.0 was released not long ago, now universal ;)

Yes I appreciate the Artpro viewer too! Tried it out the other day, and it was great to view old Artpro files without launching Artpro viewer or app. We have just upgraded to R 4.1 and the problems with the tools in the viewer have vanished, I'm very glad to say. I'm still getting to appreciate some of the features of the viewer. One I really like is the ability to print out the info on one bit tifs. Is there any way to consolidate all the one bit files that make up a job (all six colours, e.g.) info onto one printout? It doesn't have to be all on one page, but now I believe I have to call up info on each individual one bit file and print each one out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back