Esko studio toolkit for shrink and Solidworks

tommrz

We are very new to shrink sleeve distortion. We have a customer building 3D bottles in Solidworks. Solidworks does not appear to have an export to .dae or .zae that Eskos is telling us we need to bring into studio designer to add our printable area to. Does anyone here know what we can do to take a file from Solidworks and import it without having to distort it in toolkit once we add our sleeve? I have been provided with a few .stl files that I take into meshlab and export a .dae file but when I bring it into the illustrator plugin a get a GIANT bottle and have to shrink it down.

We had this same issue. What we do is take the original file, solid works or whatever. Take the correct size bottle CAD and take that into the studio plugin. Slice it vertically and let the plugin create the 3D shape and save out the .dea file. Basically treat the CAD as any other vector dieline file and let Studio create the 3D file. Of course this only really works well for symmetrical bottle shapes. It works for other shapes but won't accurately show say a handle on one side of the bottle. Hope this helps!

Ask them to supply an .obj file that you can open in Studio Toolkit. Then place your sleeve on the bottle and export as a .zae to import into illustrator and distort.

You can use Blender to convert Stl to DAE. The issue you have, obviously connected with units discrepancy. Take into account units also if you decide to use Blender for the export. I tried to use DAEs generated by Blender in Studio. Everything worked OK.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back