estimating machine hour rate

cseas

hi folks,

can anyone advise on how to estimate machine hour rate for the prepress dept?
this is a question that was brought to me by a friend, so if you need more info please let me know.

thanks,
césar

Need more information . . . are we looking for an hourly rate for general electronic pre press? Please be more specific with your question.

Hi césar,

Estimating tasks would vary - trapping for packaging might require review before trapping, then trapping, then a proof. Of course, some in-rip trapping or application based trapping can be fully automatic, and many do not even add a line item to any invoice for that - other services like pagination or imposition also can vary from 'we need to examine and apply' to 'fully automatic'.

as per an hourly rate - saying 'we charge 60 bucks an hour' is meaningless. I could have a poster that rips in 15 sec and another that takes 15 minutes.

a quick examination of "rates" varies from 60 bucks to 150 bucks an hour.

Hope that helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back