Evo as a tiff downloader

CalgaryWeb

We recently purchased 2 new trendsetter news devices. We've been using trendsetters for years now, awesome machines.

Up until now, every trendsetter we've had (we have a few locations) has always had print console to control it. We run a Heidelberg workflow that just sends tiff files. Very easy to use, very straight forward, very easy to train computer-illiterates (pressman) to remake plates, never any problems.

However, Kodak now uses Print Console only to configure the trendsetter and monitor it, now you have to use Evo as a tiff downloader. We're new to Evo, and I was at first excited, I've heard many good things about Evo, and I honestly thought I'd have the power and control with a workflow over my 2 trendsetters that I'd never had before. But this is not the case, I wish I just had my good old Print Console and never even heard of Evo.

I'm not sure if anyone else is using Evo as strictly a tiff-downloader like we are, but it is, to say the least, extremely frustrating.

There is a constant refresh problem in any of the views in Evo. We are a busy shop and do 100's of plates each day. I'd like to not delete the plates right away, but leave them on the output device so that remakes are easy. But every time you have to remake a plate, you have to view by job or process or whatever, and find the plate you want. Most of the times, Evo does its "refresh" thing that stalls the computer for about a minute as it tries to refresh the list for usually no apparent reason, and that's only when it doesn't crash and you have to launch the client again.

If you need to remake a whole set of plates, it gets even more frustrating as each plate will come up with it's own window pretty much asking "are you sure", and each window that opens triggers evo to do another "refresh" which usually triggers another "crash"

I am having no success dealing with Kodak on this issue. They even sent out a tech who pretty much said that's the way Evo works. I can't believe this.

Am I the only one having these issues using Evo as a tiff downloader? Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Kodak would have 2 applications (evo and Print Console) and force users to swtich between 2 applications to run any output device? Whether it's a proofing device, or film, or plates, this is just counter-intuitive and is the opposite of how people work.

I hope I don't come off as a grouch or anything. I just registered for this board, it looks like there are a lot of people with a lot of Evo experience, I was hoping someone could help me out. There has to be options available to me.

Ouch! Man.. that sucks!
I've used my EVO install to Download TIFF's (have 1 job that's a reprint from our Brisque days, and the screening differences have produce color shift on press.... so I have a set of archived 1-bit's I break out for the reprints).

I just use a File Delivery Process template, and away it goes. You could automate this to a hotfolder simply enough, I'm assuming....

The crashes and such however... I'd be up Kodak's Arse if my system was doing that! Know what you mean about the Print Console, however. Fought w/ our integrator when we bought our device (not from Kodak), he couldn't understand why I _didn't_ want to drive it w/ the Brisque directly...

Look to a 3rd party, perhaps? Might be your best bet... There are PrintConsole machines available out there. Fuck the support contract. LOL!

- Mac

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back