Exact ISO Ink Set Black

herbert

We are currently running to ISO LAB Values on all colours, but to get to the LAB Value for Black (16,00,00) on coated paper we have to run the black at 2.0 density. This to be seems very high. We control colour on press using Heidelberg Image Control.

What could be causing this issue.

We use Heidelberg Axis Control on a cd 102. However, we use the t response in the set-up. You could have something out of calibration. The consloe on our press is equipped with a automatic pre-set curve trand adjustment, but you can also go into the settings for Axis and tell it waht you want the Values to be. There is another place that you can go "Characteristic curvers and specify what you want your standard to be. If you feel that your Balck is too hot I am sure you have the capabilitie to do that. And I will have to agree that 2.0 on black is screaming. I will research this further and get back to you. Image Control and Axis are virtually the same thing One on console ans 1 stand alson. But I am almost positive that there parameters are set up the same way.
Todd

thats pretty high, what instruments are you measuing the lab values with? and are you using a poliarized filter on your densitometer?

Honestly, I treat the K Lab value as more informative than normative. I run the black to it's best based on how dark it can run without plugging. Star targets are great quick references for this.

That being said, I think you are having to run a bit hot there. Is the black gain high, or is it staying open running at this level?

Have you contacted your ink vendor's tech support? You may need to switch to a black with a higher pigment load.

Last edited:
It sounds as though you don't have enough pigment in the ink to get inside the Delta E tolerance. 2.00 is extremely high and you'll be wasting shed loads of ink as well!!
Get the ink manufacturer in to sort it out!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back