Export vs distill

bbmeister

Why is the weight of the rule changing (right hand side) when I export from InDesign vs printing a PS and distilling it using the same joboptions?
Screenshots included.
Thanks in advance
Bobm

Attachments

• export PDF.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 202
  • Distill PS.pdf
    154.3 KB · Views: 175
Need More Information

Need More Information

Why is the weight of the rule changing (right hand side) when I export from InDesign vs printing a PS and distilling it using the same joboptions?
Screenshots included.
Thanks in advance
Bobm

Without knowing which version of InDesign and having a minimal .INDD file exhibiting the problem along with the .joboptions used for this, it is virtually impossible to figure out whether the cause and/or whether there is a bug to be fixed.

- Dov

without seeing how this rule is created in InDesign, it is hard to tell - is this a screen capture ? How is the rule constructed ? What version of InDesign ? Are the corners rounded ?

One of the reasons we need to see the file is to determine the layering order and the exact dimensions of the objects involved. If the frame is underneath the image and a separate item, miniscule measurement errors can cause this type of problem.

- Dov

I fully agree with Dov - and I might add - "is this only some artifact of display ?" - I wonder if you print or RIP, if this is still the case. There are several settings that one can change in Acrobat that effect how a PDF file might display. We have found that the PDF files that area exported to PDF have fewer issues with display or RIPing, thanks to massive improvements from Adobe and their "export to PDF' tools.

The file is too big to post (66mb). The job was on press and it is definitely a problem. I will try to compress and also send the joboptions I used.
Printing PS and distilling work fine with the same joboptions. (I exported it from InDesign).
Thanks for the help
bobm

do you have a mix of spot/process or rgb/cmyk colors or images? sometimes it gets weird with that. also, are you using a preset in indesign for exporting the pdf? sometimes i have good louck with toggling the "compress text and line art" switch.

Inspection of file

Inspection of file

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have reduced the file to a manageable level to email if anyone is willing to inspect it.
I have packaged the InDesign file, included the joboption, InDesign print presets and the resulting PDFs.
I can post it on my FTP. Send me a email and I'll furnish the user/password.
Thanks
bobm

Last edited:
Just based on what I'm seeing in the screen grabs, text in the distilled PDF appears to be rasterized and/or lower resolution.

Not raster

Not raster

It is vector data except the pix in the background. That was just a screenshot for a visual.
Thanks Rich

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back