Exporting dielines

Chasfinch

I just cannot get this to work no matter which way I attack it. The PDF export will not only keep the dieline and eliminate everything else. All I can do is export all and manually delete all but dieline I am sending. Anyone have a idea?

Assuming you are using InDesign, put all content (except the die lines) onto a separate non-printing layer. Try exporting a PDF now.

pd

Last edited:
I am trying to automate XMF like RAMPAGE used to output. Struggling with inkpool. I htink the layers are the only real option

As I am not familiar with XMF, this is a shot in the dark but can XMF use Pitstop Actions Lists? If so, you could create an Action List to remove all content except the die lines.

pd

As I am not familiar with XMF, this is a shot in the dark but can XMF use Pitstop Actions Lists? If so, you could create an Action List to remove all content except the die lines.

pd

I might be doing something wrong but i have tried that action and it does not work right. MAYBE I need to revisit it and use the inkpool with the action list to comeup with a dieline

Here are the commands in the action list I have:

Select all
Select spot color Die Line
AND
NOT
Remove selection

It will remove everything except for any content colored as a spot color named "Die Line". You can of course change the spot color name to anything you like.

Hope this helps,
pd

thanks

I will try it :)

Here are the commands in the action list I have:

Select all
Select spot color Die Line
AND
NOT
Remove selection

It will remove everything except for any content colored as a spot color named "Die Line". You can of course change the spot color name to anything you like.

Hope this helps,
pd

Or preserve both rego colour and a spot called “Dieshape”:
Code:
Select all
Select spot color Dieshape
OR
Select spot color All
OR
NOT
Remove selection
Taking this up a another level to preserve masked registration elements:
Code:
Select all
Select spot color All
Select clipping objects
OR
Select spot color Dieshape
OR
NOT
Remove selection
Optionally, one can introduce a VARIABLE at the Select spot color step and then enter in the name of the colour, rather than hard coding it into the action list, then a dialog will be presented asking the name of the spot colour to be preserved (as it could be Dieshape on one job, Knife on another job etc).

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I've never really used Action Lists before, but had a play with Stephens and they're pretty awesome.

Is there a way to get your head around it to create my own? It doesn't seem 100% logical to me right now.

Assuming you are using InDesign, put all content (except the die lines) onto a separate non-printing layer. Try exporting a PDF now.

pd

I gotta agree with youi . . . plus it is imho easier to work on a job with a dieline on top and the layer locked . . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back