Exporting PDF from Indd.

rande

Anyone else having a problem?
I just had a job; placed PDF in Indd. exported out as PDF.
My partner noticed that some pictures didn't line up; then did a Postscript file and distilled and it worked fine.

I've never had a problem with making PDFs directly from InDesign, but I haven't dealt with "PDFs within PDFs" very much.

I think it's certainly true that the postscript to Distiller route is a more reliable option when problems arise.

However, it would be good to know more. What do you mean by "some pictures didn't line up"?

My partner noticed that some pictures didn't line up; then did a Postscript file and distilled and it worked fine.
----
You mean pix within the placed pdf did not line up?
Or ... tifs placed on the page with the pdfs, and other items, didn't line up.
Were they tifs?
If so - that is a "Known Issue"
I might be able to find it in some White Papers I have hanging around.
The pix don't line up with other objects on the page - correct? (They do in the InDy file).

MSD

We received a full page PDF from the client and we had to place it in Indd.
No border around the pix. I don't know if they were tifs or not. It seems to be safe we'll need to do all PDF thru Distiller unless there is some setting in Indd CS3 we could change?

Try making it display as a High Quality Preview before outputting (Sounds wierd I know, but i've had this.)

On the high res view, a little better but not perfect like doing a PS/distiller file.

Has anyone had this problem with non-placed PDFs?

Is there any profile to run the PDF thru that might fix this? Not that its a big deal to do PS/dist. files; I rather not, but just wondering if there is a proper way of avoiding this and other subtle problems I'm not catching?

We don't use an OPI, I ran the remove OPI in pitstop but that didn't do anything.
Optimizing fixed it. Probly easier to just do a PS file/distill.
Does everyone optimize as a rule. I tried it awhile back and it seems you can't edit after that; maybe some trap issues I forget exactly what ti problems were. Anyone have problems with optimizing?

I would first find out how the placed PDF was created. It makes a difference as far as your success with exporting as a PDF, or postscripting and distilling the InDesign document.

I just had another problem.
I worked a job with Illust. files. pict with shadow on top of a illust. graduation with type under the shadow.
That type once trapped had acouple little chunks out of them.
The ones I did PS files and run thru Distiller it worked fine.
The one I exported from Indd. it messed up.
I don't know what going on, we're exported form Indd for years.
We won't export from Indd again. Unless its BW simple files.

Re-save original PDF in your Acrobat?

Re-save original PDF in your Acrobat?

Have you tried re-saving the PDF in your Acrobat and not using the originally supplied file? Since you are unaware of how the original PDF was created perhaps merely re-saving it on your system will help. I think this has helped me in the past.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back