Exporting Spot Plate from PDF

Sherbert

Hey guys,

Just received a job. Basically its a CMYK+Spot Pdf, the spot layer is for the cutter guide.

Normally customers send in 2 files 1 Cutter, 1 Artworking.

For arguements sake, I don't have the fonts and there not outlined. So can't use Illy. (Plus, PDF's arn't really meant for Illy)

How would I go about getting 2 files? 1 Cutter, 1 Artwork.

Using CS2 with Acrobat Pro 8.

Is this a Pitstop thing?

under TOOLS-ADVANCED EDITING-TOUCH UP OBJECT TOOL
you can select all the cutter lines and delete them and save it as "artwork" and then do the same for the cutter die lines.

Well, thats what I do anyhow. Theres no better way? I thought you would somehow be able to remove plates in Acrobat.

I have actions setup in Pitstop. I generally give them names that my clients send in - ie, DIESTRIKE, DIE, etc.
If I get a strange one I edit my action on the fly and hit the magic Enfocus button.
You could download a 30 day trial of Pitstop I think.

If the die is properly set up as a spot color and is set to overprint, there is no need to separate the dieline from the CMYK. I prefer to have the whole enchilada together to see how stuff is fitting.

If you just gotta' give the die-cutter a separate file; place the PDF into InDesign and print a separated postscript file of just the dieline color. Distill that and you have a separate PDF for the die.

Scenario to export plates from PDF

Scenario to export plates from PDF

It's probably a very late answer, but I had a similar scenario where I needed to delete plates from my PDF file.

The alternative that I used was opening the PDF document in Adobe Acrobat. In the print dialogue, I edited the "advanced" settings to "color seprations" mode. After selecting the desired plates, I printed the document to "Adobe PDF X.x" printer.

Last edited:
why would you wanna have 2 sepparate files?
If the file is buildup right your RIP should be able to ignore that color.

Let's say you have a PDF document containing a complete set of process colours along with a die-cut spot colour.

This would be a suitable method to separate the die-cut plate from the CMYK should you want to send the "die-cut" plate separately to a certain supplier.

This is the issue that orignally started this thread by Sherbert.

simples

<shhhh - don't tell the adobe people - i may get shot>

ok lets agree that illy isn't "supposed" to open pdf's - thats my disclaimer....

right - outline the fonts in acrobat first, then save as "whatever"

open "whatever" file in illy and delete all graphics except the cutter - if you need this to go to artios or cad then save as illy3 eps and blammo - done

or....

do the above to firstly get the cutter as a seperate element, and save as illy eps/ai file - then..

in acrobat delete the cutter using the object touch up tool - when done save

THEN drop newly sans cutter pdf into indy, and drop new illy cutter over the top

2 methods there - enjoy - i do this stuff all day every day and it works a dream - NEVER had ANY problems at all

as a footnote this works perfect as long as the ORIGINAL cutter was vector victor - if not take the cutter to photoshop and create paths, export paths to illy

good luck

oh - and i'd LOVE to be able to select colour 'plates" in acrobat and remove as a "whole" rather than as individual elements - ok obviously ya might not want to remove "cyan" from an image but ya get the idea. all too often i get cartons in that have artios cut, crease, fold etc etc all as different "spot" colours and i need to get shot of them

unless u can and i dont know how that is

and no i do not have pitstop.......

You can use Callas pdfToolbox to create a layer and then remove the other elements on the other layer.

why not print the individual separation to PS ? then distill to make separate files. - Recombine them in Rip ?

You could even use Axaio MadeToPrint XT to export two separate PDF's. One with the base layer and the other with the die lines in one step.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back