Exporting to PDF . .. Naming Questions???

dabob

I have been having this issue for a while but it seems to be getting worse. When I use the export to PDF function sometimes it exports it with the file name and other times it exports it with some other file name that apparenly has little or no relationship to the file . . .

Anybody else noticing this????

If you have what did you do about it????

Thanks

On a mac, you can automate PDF export from InDesign with scripts using any predefined PDF export preset. Just paste the following code in AppleScript editor (it will also take care of your file naming issue), then click "Compile" then "Run". Alternatively, you can save this as an AppleScript application and double-click on the app icon to run it:

--script by Colorblind, tested with InDesign CS5.5 on MacOS 10.6.8
--this script exports all opened InDesign document as PDFs
set my_destination to (choose folder with prompt "Choose destination for the PDFs") as string
--if using InDesign CS5 change "Adobe InDesign CS5.5" for "Adobe InDesign CS5" in the following line
tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"
activate
--next line collects all current PDF export presets
set my_pdf_export to get the name of every PDF export preset
--next line makes you choose which preset to use for ALL opened InDesign documents
set my_pdf_choice to (choose from list my_pdf_export) as string
--loop starts here
repeat with this_doc in (get every document)
--next line gets the name of the active InDesign document
set doc_name to get name of this_doc
--next 3 lines perform the actual PDF export
tell this_doc
export format PDF type to my_destination & (characters 1 thru -6 of doc_name) & ".pdf" using my_pdf_choice without showing options
end tell
end repeat
set volume 5
--beeps 3 times when all PDFs are exported
beep 3
end tell
--The Finder will try to open the destination folder
try
tell application "Finder"
activate
open my_destination
end tell
end try

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the very first time you export a PDF it will automatically use the file's name. If you change the name of the PDF upon export, ID will remember that name the next time.

I agree with DCurry.. It will remember the changes. So I would not change the name and let it remember that. If for some reason you want to make a change, do that after exporting.

Whats happening mostly is that I will open up a template file or a previous business card order and make the changes and save it under the new job # and description and then go to export it and it holds onto the template name or the previous file name. If I change it - it doesn't always remember it . . . I'm clueless as to why this is happening since it doesn't happen all the time?????????????

If you are on a Mac, have you tried the AppleScript previously posted? Do you need help compiling the script?

If you are Windows based, there should be a similar JS or VB script floating around the web...

Perhaps try doing a save as to the INDD file after you export to PDF, so that the exported file name sticks? When exporting the PDF you can also click on the INDD file so that the PDF inherits the INDD name (remember to change the file extension to .pdf).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I agree with cjwworld.
Do not change the name and let it remember that, and then changge it after exporting if neccessary.

I have also seen this happen, with Windows 7 and older, anyway. 99% of my files come from other people (I work pre-press). I believe that the previous user of the file exported a pdf or other export file type, which would pick up and remember THEIR filename. Just rename when you export your pdf, and it should remember that in future. If getting the SAME filename in there is essential, a script may well be the answer, otherwise I do a copy/paste from the InD file to the pdf after the pdf has been created, if needed. Then, on a Mac, you can click on the pdf filename in the export window if you have to export again, and it will pick it up from there and then remember the new name.

What was said above is correct. (mac experience here, not enough PC work to know this for sure)

If the name was NEVER changed it will default to the file name. If it was EVER changed, it will remember the old name.

Same thing goes for paths. NEVER=Current Directory, EVER=Last used directory.

I'm unsure if changing only the path also stops the name from ever changing.

Your only options once the export name has been changed are a script (which I never thought of), or starting the file over. If the file is not too complicated (or well designed) you can export to .idml and re-import. This is the same as doing the file over, without having to do the file over. There's always a chance of a hiccup in the double conversion however.

Afterthought: "Packaging" the file also starts the naming schema over again. I tend to package a lot of files anyway, to keep everything together.

Thanks for all the advice . . . its basically what I thought only better said . . . . I guess I will just have to be careful when exporting pdfs from an altered file - not a big deal as things go - just a small PITA.

"...

Your only options once the export name has been changed are a script (which I never thought of), or starting the file over. If the file is not too complicated (or well designed) you can export to .idml and re-import. This is the same as doing the file over, without having to do the file over. There's always a chance of a hiccup in the double conversion however.
..."

I have re-exported pdfs multiple times from revised and re-named customers' InD files, and never had to change the export name to match a new file name except the first time, unless I wanted to. I have never had to start a file over just to fix a naming issue. Mac or PC.

I should have said the consensus above. I wasn't talking about your post. I think we're saying the same thing from different angles. Regardless, the OP is satisfied.

Thanks Colorblind.
Is there a way to, in the script, to just set a predetermined Export setting all the time without having to choose a preset from the list?
Basically I would like two scripts, one for Spreads and one for pages.

Thank you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back