fade

V

Visualaid

Boss gives me a customer's RGB jpg and says to plate it for 1 color.

I take the RGB jpg and make a pdf to work with in enfocus pitstop.
(I have to work on an old PC)

I select with pitstop what i want to be spot,
when i do this, it fades the images.
I check transparency in one of the dialogue pitstop boxes and its at 100%

why is the image fading when converting the RGB pdf images to spot color?

Just curious...why wouldn't you do this in Photoshop?

thx, gordon p

I opened the RGB jpg in pshop and saved it as a pdf out of pshop.

I know you can do a "selective color range" and make what ya want a spot in photoshop,
but it doesn't work correctly in some cases.

Like other programs don't recognize the spot color.

I opened the RGB jpg in pshop and saved it as a pdf out of pshop.

I know you can do a "selective color range" and make what ya want a spot in photoshop,
but it doesn't work correctly in some cases.

Like other programs don't recognize the spot color.

I guess another way of doing it would be to just make it all grayscale and send it to the rip and let the pressmen print the spot..

But that doesn't answer my original question.

Just trying to picture your problem. You have a RGB image, which I assume is just based on 1 color and maybe it's different percentages and you try to decide what color is that in Spotcolor terms and then you make that as a spotcolor but it comes out faded?

If this is the case why don't you do exactly what you described, but instead of leaving the color in grayscale turn that color into the desired spotcolor. I think that there is a grayscale icc profile from Adobe that boosts a bit the graycolor while making the transformation thus giving you a bit stronger image. I am not a PS wizard so others might have better ideas.

I can see two options:-
1. Convert the RGB image to grayscale in Photoshop and use levels or curves to manually compensate for density change that have occurred from converting. Save as TIFF grayscale. Any prepress can map spot color to a grayscale TIFF.
2. If u want to control the process yourself, you will have to import the TIFF into your document (say AI), define a new spot color first then apply to the Tiff. Create a PDF from that and it will have all the spot colors correct.

hen you convert in PitStop
it tries to maintain the exixting oveall brightness.
Open the Inspector and you will see that your "tint"
of the converted golor has been adjusted down.
Just put it back up to 100.

MSD

Convert the RGB to Greyscale TIFF in photoshop, level or eyedrop to taste.

Place it in Illustrator.

"Fill" with your spot color.

Output to PDF.

(just noticed this was above, so... I'm slow =)

hen you convert in PitStop
it tries to maintain the exixting oveall brightness.
Open the Inspector and you will see that your "tint"
of the converted golor has been adjusted down.
Just put it back up to 100.

MSD

im working on pc with pitstop on it, i dont see tint. i see transparency and its at 100

It "Fades"? That's to be expected the way PitStop converts colors. PhotoShop is the right place to do this.

Should be right there in the solid fill
Should tell you the color and the tint.

im working on pc with pitstop on it, i dont see tint. i see transparency and its at 100

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back