Faster way of comb binding (or an alternative?)

bcr

We produce large volumes of documents that are comb bound.

Currently we have a GBC EP28/DB28 combo as per the below link.

https://assets.esselte.com/catalogf...400104_5-0ac378aa31534ba5c23ccc594ea832ca.png

It is fast at punching (although difficult to align the punches to be bang on) and I find manually inserting the pages onto the comb to be extremely fiddly and time consuming.

Trying to think of a more automated method... I know some production printers can have GBC punch unit but they generally only bind up to around 100 pages at a time.. We're regularly doing 400 pages upwards..

Thoughts or suggestions? Perhaps a different binding method entirely?

Most of my customers have switched over from comb binding to spiral and wire binding. We have many low cost solutions to this problem. Please contact me should this interest you.

Truly yours,

David Spiel
Spiel Associates, Inc.
45-01 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY 11101
718-392-7900
[email protected]
www.spielassociates.com

It’s something completely different, and still early in its development, but check out Vpaper and the Vpaper Tower from Peleman. A disruptive solution for fast, low cost lay-flat binding.

We buy the paper pre 44 oval hole punched. 2x the cost of unpunched, but binding goes quick, just punch the cover and back then spin it on.

I agree with the others here that you should consider switching to coil binding. There is a great automated coil inserter called the James Burn CB30QS...it can do up to 30mm (1.18" thick). You should use the oval shaped hole for the punching, and use an automated feeding and punch unit like the DocuPunch.

It’s something completely different, and still early in its development, but check out Vpaper and the Vpaper Tower from Peleman. A disruptive solution for fast, low cost lay-flat binding.

Have you heard any feedback about Vpaper? I'm curious about the longevity of the "hinge" area. It seems like such a new product that such data may not exist though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back