File looks black from preflight to imposition when ripped shows a screen.

HPC

We are new in the CTP world, but have a problem thats driving us a bit crazy. We preflight our PDFs (in Acrobat), making sure output will be a single color or spot color, file looks fine. Place the same PDF in Indesign in position, still looks fine. Send it to the rip, and every once in a while a part of it will show up screened. Typically this is happening with bold words and logos. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Sounds like a color management setting somewhere in the rip, like maybe a profile conversion.

What happens if you send the original PDF page direct to the RIP bypassing the InDesign step?

Are you printing from InDesign, or making another PDF from placed content and submitting that via a hot folder?

Are you simply "eyeballing" the seps in Acrobat Pro output preview, or are you using object inspector and or preflighting?

Can you provide a sample file for troubleshooting?

What RIP?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Definitely need to see the original. I agree it's likely a color management issue. But there are other things it could be too. Maybe we can talk tomorrow once we seethe file.

I had a similar problem when we upgraded RIP and all system software. Even crazier, when I sent a multiple-up file to the RIP (I have to impose in the original file), one logo would be fine, and the others would show a screened black.

My problem was solved by opening the original logo file, usually an EPS, and re-saving to a newer version. The type thing is a puzzle, though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back