File opens with copy change; acrobat vs illustrator

I'm about to have a panic attack here because this isn't making any sense. The pressman came to check out a label he just put on the press and I realize that the copy isn't properly updated. I look at my file on the server and it is wrong... I look at where I sent the file to the customer and it is right, but the save date on the server matches the save date on the other revisions so I'm confused. I downloaded the proof I sent to the customer. When I open it in acrobat I get the correct copy "Grown, Milled and Packaged by: Mckaskle family Farm". When I open THE SAME FILE in illustrator the copy reverts back to "Corn Grown by MEG farms; Milled and Packaged by: MCKaskle Family Farm".

What is going on?? There is no second artboard... no hidden art... one layer...

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 9.01.24 AM.jpg

Attachments

• White Corn Grits BACK 2015.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 300
Just to clarify. You open the PDF supplied in Illustrator and Acrobat and you get different results?

I don't, the text cotent looks the same.

Last edited:
I've just tried opening it in photoshop and it looks correct there. If I open it in AI 17 (CC) then it also works, but it was last saved in AI 18 (CC 2014) and that's where it is opening with the previous version.

Yes! I've never seen that before! Opened the same file and the left one in the screen shot is the acrobat opening and the right one is the one that opened in AI CC 2014

I look at where I sent the file to the customer and it is right, but the save date on the server matches the save date on the other revisions so I'm confused. I downloaded the proof I sent to the customer. When I open it in acrobat I get the correct copy "Grown, Milled and Packaged by: Mckaskle family Farm". When I open THE SAME FILE in illustrator the copy reverts back to "Corn Grown by MEG farms; Milled and Packaged by: MCKaskle Family Farm".

Were the edits done ENTIRELY by Illustrator or was some other tool (Acrobat, PitStop, etc.) used to make the changes?

The file contains Illustrator private data - but that data isn't consistent with the PDF itself - which is why you get two separate views. This is why if you plan to edit with something other than Ai - don't leave the "Ai Editable" option on when saving form Ai.

Were the edits done ENTIRELY by Illustrator or was some other tool (Acrobat, PitStop, etc.) used to make the changes?

My spam filter decided PrintPlanet was tasty. I have only been making edits with Illustrator. The original customer files were provided as pdf and once I had to start editing I made sure to leave AI editable on as it makes for less mess usually. I'm a little confused as to how I even managed to pull such a strange mishap off.

My spam filter decided PrintPlanet was tasty. I have only been making edits with Illustrator. The original customer files were provided as pdf and once I had to start editing I made sure to leave AI editable on as it makes for less mess usually. I'm a little confused as to how I even managed to pull such a strange mishap off.

A reminder that Illustrator is _NOT_ a PDF editor! It doesn't support a LOT of PDF features, so that when you open up an arbitrary PDF in Illustrator there is a good chance that you can/will cause data loss.

A reminder that Illustrator is _NOT_ a PDF editor! It doesn't support a LOT of PDF features, so that when you open up an arbitrary PDF in Illustrator there is a good chance that you can/will cause data loss.

What are the odds of data loss if the PDF was optimized down to v1.3? I understand the consequences of flattening the PDF but was wondering if the odds change based on PDF version.

What are the odds of data loss if the PDF was optimized down to v1.3? I understand the consequences of flattening the PDF but was wondering if the odds change based on PDF version.

Yes, the odds change - but they are still always(!) greater than zero! And I personally think ANY loss is bad.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back