Opening PDF files in Illustrator

Honestly, I would venture to say that there isn't any issue doing this, but it's not the way it's "supposed to be done". I mean seriously, if opening a pdf in illustrator was such a big deal and created so many problems, why does it work out for so many people?

T​wo reasons come to mind, one they have the fonts and links, two they don't know the difference. I.E. they don't track or see the errors and therefore the increased costs.

shorty83 opening a PDF file in AI is asking for issues, if the file was saved with AI editing capabilities then you have a native file. You need fonts sometimes links it's BS in spades.

We just bought a CJV150-130 Mimaki with Rasterlik 6.6 and of course the morons who service it wanted us to install FineCut which is a CorelDraw and Illustrator plug-in not even knowing that EVERY FEATURE was built into the RIP. If I was that stupid I would have deserved to lose money. We dump PRINT READY PDF files from our servers to the RIP after all it's the 21st century.

Every time I turn around I find that industry leaders and technicians are living 25 years in the past.

I have no other option than to open a PDF in illustrator because we use Esko DeskPak for our workflow (preflighting, trapping and stepping plate files). So I guess I am living in the past, but have yet to have any issues with it. If I am missing fonts I have the customer send the fonts, or send a file with the text in outlines. Missing links? Have them send the links. I have never had any color conversion issues either. I prep the file, print a color accurate proof using fingerprint profiles and it works fine. I guess if I had the option to work off a PDF the customer sent I wouldn't cause I would have no time to teach myself how to prep a file in Acrobat.

Kodak also has a plug-in for opening and editing a PDF in Illustrator. I think the use of those plug-ins is an acceptable way of editing a PDF (high-end workflow plug-ins) though I'm not sure of Adobe's stance on it but obviously Kodak and Esko say it is fine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back