File Redirecting

prepressdork

I am looking for a CHEAP! (less than $500 (free would be better)) software that can: at a set time interval, monitor a root folder on an external FTP site and then based on the NAMING of each file within said folder, MOVE (not copy) said file from the FTP site to one of several in-house hot folders on a digital front end (currently, there are 3 naming different naming conventions each with a designated hot folder with more to be added later).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
pd

Can I presume that the FTP site is being run on a Windows platform? Some FTP servers are on a Mac, while others use Linux etc.

EIDT: Windows has native command line copy/move commands that can be placed into a .bat text file and then scheduled to run. Similar for other operating systems. I am not sure if these methods provide all of the features you are looking for.

I am presuming that Enfocus Switch is out of the question based on your budget ;]

You have very specific requirements, you will have to do the homework to see if any of these links offer all of the things you need:

WatchDirectory - Monitor a directory for changes and react!

Watchdirectory Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net

I hope to see some other options listed by others, I would also like to know what others on a budget use…

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
This would probably be simple enough to do with a bash script using commands already built into OS X. I can probably help you out with this - send me a private message (no payment required). I actually hate it when people use private messages to take solutions off-forum, but the particular details would require a bit of back and forth that could be tedious for all to witness here. If you want to go that route, I'll post the final result in this thread (minus any site address or login credentials, of course) for all to see. On vacation until Monday.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back