Fine Screen / Ink build up

amgd1972

Hi,

I am printing a job on a CD102, the design of the artwork has fine vignette screens on the front panel with a large white out area on the back. The product is running vertically up the sheet, therefore I have two reverse out panels inline running up the sheet. THe press minder has done a good job minimising the effect but it is still a faint build up inline with these reverse out panels. On the stock size I do not have space to place ink take off bars.

Do you have any suggestions.

Ace

Is the sheet large enough so that you can angle/cock the art (press form) by 1-3 degrees relative to the sheet?
The other method would be to change the screen value of the area that is going too dark so that when ink builds up it ends up matching the rest of the screen tone. Tricky to do but I've seen it work.

best, gordon p

Not allowed to alter the files (Screen Values).

It's on 420 mic board, worried the grain direction will have a negative impact when being diecut?

Ace

Not allowed to alter the files (Screen Values).

Don't take this as a smart-ass comment..., but if it is technically possible to alter the screen values, then, working with your customer, you might try explaining that the printing process always alters the screen values anyway (e.g. dot gain, inline issues, etc.) - what you are simply trying to do, by altering the file slightly, is to restore the integrity of the design and the customer's intent despite the mechanical issues related to printing.
Or something like that.
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, this technique is used to balance out the color on the yellow border of the National Geographics magazines which would otherwise have dark yellow stripes on either side of the cover photo.

Internally, you might also try and track down why this issue was not caught before it got out to the pressroom. Usually it is the responsibility of production planners, CSRs, or estimating to red flag designs that may cause issues like this in the pressroom. So, something might be broken in your internal systems.

You may end up having to bite the bullet and go onto a larger sheet with take-off bars - assuming that's even possible for you to do.

good luck.

gordon p

Hi Gordo,

Thanks for the above, In a perfect world the CSR's, Prepress etc etc would highlight these issues when seeing the imposition and the artwork, modifying to suit press / stock size.

Putting on Ink take off barts seems like the only logical option, however these involves changing the stock size from a specific making to a larger size (ex Mill), will take a few weeks.

Speaking to someone over the weekend they were saying there is a formulae for working out the size the ink take off......any ideas.

Adrian

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back