Fogra47 has a larger gamut than Fogra39?

Gregg

I was comparing some profiles, using ColorSync, and I am confused by the differences in Fogra47 (uncoated) and Fogra39 (coated). Have a look at the attached screenshot. The ghosted profile is Fogra47, the non-ghosted profile is Fogra39. I can't understand why 47's gamut is larger in some areas (e.g. the reds/purples shown in the screenshot).

I did the same comparison with Gracol13 (coated) and Gracol13 (uncoated) and the results are what I would have expected - the 2 Gracol profiles have generally the same shape, with the uncoated profile being smaller.

Am I missing something here? Or reading these comparisons wrong?

Attachments

• Compare.png.jpg
    Compare.png.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 330
I was comparing some profiles, using ColorSync, and I am confused by the differences in Fogra47 (uncoated) and Fogra39 (coated). Have a look at the attached screenshot. The ghosted profile is Fogra47, the non-ghosted profile is Fogra39. I can't understand why 47's gamut is larger in some areas (e.g. the reds/purples shown in the screenshot).

I did the same comparison with Gracol13 (coated) and Gracol13 (uncoated) and the results are what I would have expected - the 2 Gracol profiles have generally the same shape, with the uncoated profile being smaller.

Am I missing something here? Or reading these comparisons wrong?

Something is wrong. Here's the two gamuts plotted in ColorThink:

Gamuts_zpsdtsoyeur.jpg

Fogra39 is the translucent blob
Fogra47 Is the mesh blob

Where Fogra47 matches or incredibly minimally is different from Fogra39 (not a bigger gamut) is at the white apex in the Y/B hues. I'm speculating that the difference may be due to OBAs.

Strange. My shapes aren't even close to yours. For what it's worth, and I should have mentioned this in my initial post, I am using ISO Coated V2 300% (for ECI) for Fogra39 and PSO Uncoated ISO12647 (ECI) for Fogra47. What are you using?

Strange. My shapes aren't even close to yours. For what it's worth, and I should have mentioned this in my initial post, I am using ISO Coated V2 300% (for ECI) for Fogra39 and PSO Uncoated ISO12647 (ECI) for Fogra47. What are you using?

I may have used the wrong projection which is why the shape was different. Here it is again with the right projection and the profiles you used. It's the same story with how the gamuts compare:

Gamuts_zpszwd1xnoq.jpg

I'd say it is a problem with Color Sync, but the odd part is that all other profiles look "normal". The Fogra 39 and 47 profiles have such an odd shape in Color Sync. They are far more "blob" shaped that all other profiles. See the screenshots of both Gracol13 (top) and Fogra39 (bottom). I even went to ECI's site this morning and re-downloaded the profiles.
Gracol.png.jpg
Fogra39.png.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back