Folders - Files - renaming, moving issues

Blindbo

Folks,
Our company went to a windows server (replacement from old Xserve) and now we have issues on occasion (more and more it seems) where users cannot rename files, move files,move folders. IT tells us that it is because we aren't closing programs like Acrobat when we finish working with a file. They say we never experienced it before because we were sharing out from the xserve mac-based operating system.
Well, this is a real workflow issue as you can imagine.

I had to quit out of all adobe programs and any open fonts that were being used in the documents I had worked on to move a folder!
IT says they are willing to contact Adobe support to see what can be done, but that is just one of many program suites in this mix.

Anyone run into this? We can't be the only folks who have encountered this.
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

Is the Windows Serve set up to share as "AFP"? You can set up Windows Share as "AFP" which is the Apple File Sharing Protocol and then you should have all the rights and privileges as if you your using a Mac Server. I would also check the File Sharing Permissions for the file shares and make sure that they are set to read and write and then then must be propagated from the parent folder to all child folders.

Matt, It is Windows 2012 R2 server. Other boxes around the plant are Win 7 pro, if not a Mac on the latest.

I have this happen with Windows 7, it is just VERY fussy about not moving or changing files that are open/used in any application (except of course for those changes IN the application). Including fonts in a folder that are installed as "shortcuts".

We've had the same problem for several years. Our IT has never found a solution that fixes it yet. Best I could narrow it down was Finder, used a Finder replacement for a while and didn't have those issues, need to go back to that I guess. Just now, trying to copy files from one network location to another and it won't let me, I can however move those same files with no problem, then move them right back and then it'll let me copy just fine. Great isn't it?

I had that for a while after going from a MAC server to WIN server.
Then I just moved a copy of ExtremeZ onto the new WIN server and all is fine.

But ... I had success, with SMB, by making the individual MAC "computers" (exact - computer name) -
as well as the individual MAC users
Administrators on the WIN server.

MSD

Does everyone log into their Mac's using Active Directory accounts or do they use local Mac accounts and then use network/AD accounts to get into the server? I suspect you are using local Mac accounts. OS X permissions can be a real pain.

Here I log into an AD account on my Mac, work off the server all the time from several workstations (mac & pc) with no problems like this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back