Font management - Mac vs. Windows

Macmann

Our IT department is pushing our large format division to migrate from Macs to Windows 10 workstations. In my experience, the biggest challenge will be fonts.

The Adobe applications seem to run the same on both platforms but we are always battling customer-supplied fonts. We are currently using Universal Type Client for font management and the Creative Cloud font feature on occasion.

What are other members of the Print Planet using? Have any of you moved from Mac to Windows? What were the challenges? Pitfalls? Benefits? We have years-old customer font folders that just plain work on the Mac but give us fits in Windows.

Short of requiring our clients to outline their fonts, are there ways to get through this? Even those clients who are savvy enough to supply print-ready PDFs often forget bleeds, or their files need editing before going to press.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PricelineNegotiator

I've been in your situation before. What worked for me was to export all the fonts between the Macs into one big folder, and to assess how to deal with the Type 1 Postscript fonts that obviously don't work on PC. You might have to buy 2-3 families of fonts. The MyFonts Monotype subscription is great, along with Adobe Fonts. Just make one big folder of fonts apart from the subscription services and have your workstations pull from that and see what problems you are still facing. Don't put the fonts inside of a customer folder, that's not a good workflow.

Macmann

Thanks, PricelineNegotiator.

When you say you exported the fonts, how did you accomplish that? Is there a utility or app you used? Why do you not like separating fonts by customer?

michaelejahn

Perhaps I am confused ( and you need to work with native design app files in your market ) but do you really need fonts ? You really have customers who send files in wrong and you cant get back to them and ask them to fix them and send in a PDF/X file ?

And people actually outline fonts still ?

Repro_Pro

We bought the set of FontLab apps many years ago and they performed great.
There was a learning curve, which I didn't personally take, but conversions were done successfully.
They would be my first choice for any professional font related issue.

PricelineNegotiator

Thanks, PricelineNegotiator.

When you say you exported the fonts, how did you accomplish that? Is there a utility or app you used? Why do you not like separating fonts by customer?
You can use the fontbook app that is natively on Mac to accomplish this. It lists all of the fonts installed on the computer, and there is an export menu.

Print In the Eye of the Buyer

Canon White Paper
THREE PART SERIES:
FREE DOWNLOADS

Print In the
Eye of the Buyer

Download Free White
Papers Here