Font Trouble....

vaugh6288

Okay, I made a post a few weeks ago and I still need help. I am working on a Windows machine and all of our other designers are running on Mac's. Also a lot of our customers use Mac's and send us InDesign files with fonts for us to print from. My problem is my Windows machine won't see the fonts they send. They always read "0 KB". I've tried converting them with Crossfont and Font Fusion on the PC and those software dont even see the font files. What can I do to be able to read Mac fonts on my PC?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Font Trouble details please

Font Trouble details please

The short answer is "get a Mac" like all of your other designers, but for some logical reason that is not an option in your case. So...since Crossfont didn't work for you...
I've also used Fontlab's TypeTool3 to work with font conversion issues in the past.
What version of Windows are you running?
What version(s) of Mac O/S are the incoming Mac files from?

If they are 0 kb then the Mac resource fork has been lost. Nothing can be done at this point. You need to get the Mac users to stuff the job before they send it to you and that should keep the font files intact.

Font Trouble ... more.

Font Trouble ... more.

You need to get the Mac users to stuff the job before they send it to you and that should keep the font files intact.

The quote from Joe is right on target.

Also, I suggested Type Tool 3 for font conversions by mistake, TransType Pro is what we currently use for Mac to PC font issues, once we have a complete Mac font (see Joe's quote above.).

Have the fonts stuffed or zipped before sending - the resource fork is getting stripped in your PC email. If there is 0 kb, there is nothing for Crossfont (or any other software) to read.

The key here is that the fonts need to be converted BEFORE moving them to your PC or make sure to keep them in a protected archive (.sit or Mac OS .zip archive) when using Crossfont. Once they get copied or decompressed on the PC the damage has already been done and no conversion program will be able to help you.

But the more important key here is to not do this in the first place. Keep the files on the platform they were designed for. While Macs can natively use PC fonts, the opposite isn't true and you're opening yourself up for all sorts of trouble by trying to convert the font data. Fonts are more complicated than that and anyone who tells you differently is probably trying to sell you something. :) Even with a font conversion program your still looking at all sorts of potential kerning and spacing issues. If I were the client and heard that my fonts were being mangled like this I'd run to another vendor.

Legality of the conversion aside, the font you create is now going to be completely unique, but will be named the same as the common font you converted it from. Try getting a few of those mixed together with a real version of the font from the original vendor and and see what it does to your system and future jobs. And what happens when these fonts get sent back to the client or moved to another machine for a reprint? It's like a freaking virus.

Ok, enough ranting, I've traced a few bad print jobs back to edited or converted fonts over the years. Converting fonts will open you up to some bad font mojo that will either come back to bite you, or someone else in the industry at some point.

Shawn

Agreed Shawn. I really believe this kind of stuff is why we have the font problems we have today in this industry. It's too bad there isn't a magic button somewhere to rid the world of these duplicate, edited fonts.

Why not request properly setup PDFs? InDesign, from its inception, was meant to work within a PDF production workflow and has full features for this process available. From my experience it is by far more efficient and has more accurate printing results compared to dealing with typeface and color conversions from the native files.

...Once they get copied or decompressed on the PC the damage has already been done and no conversion program will be able to help you. ...

...While Macs can natively use PC fonts, the opposite isn't true and you're opening yourself up for all sorts of trouble by trying to convert the font data. Fonts are more complicated than that and anyone who tells you differently is probably trying to sell you something. :) Even with a font conversion program your still looking at all sorts of potential kerning and spacing issues. If I were the client and heard that my fonts were being mangled like this I'd run to another vendor.

Legality of the conversion aside, the font you create is now going to be completely unique, but will be named the same as the common font you converted it from. Try getting a few of those mixed together with a real version of the font from the original vendor and and see what it does to your system and future jobs. And what happens when these fonts get sent back to the client or moved to another machine for a reprint? It's like a freaking virus.

Shawn

Shawn,

I appreciate your comments and I'm sure they are accurate for the vast majority of companies using fonts as part of their workflow.

In our situation, we are a specialty packaging operation, we don't generate typesetting work to export to other vendors or designers. We generate typesetting primarily from databases of text for our inside production.

When a client or their designer provides their own typesetting in final form and/or we don't have the font, and they can't provide a version that we can use:
1.) We ask them to convert the fonts to outlines.
2.) If they cannot/do not, we ask them to purchase the font in a useable version if it exists.
3.) If they cannot/do not, we offer to convert their font if possible, and we can rename and renumber it uniquely with off the shelf font conversion software as we don't intend for it to be used as a design tool. While we can customize/override kerning and spacing, our clients very, very rarely request it.
4.) The client or designer reviews/approves proofs of our work.
5.) We produce and ship the finished packaging pieces.
6.) We get paid for the quality and service we performed.

In summary:
The client is given options and they pick the best one for them, in their particular situation.

Practically speaking, there are no magic buttons, only choices and corresponding consequences. We aren't in a position to demand that Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, IBM, etc.
do everything the same (eliminate our choices), we are often, however, in a position to give our clients choices so that they can achieve their desired consequences.

If packaging was easy, then our clients wouldn't need us. :)

As mentioned in a previous post, mac font's with 0k can't be fixed. Here is the reason: Old mac fonts stored the font information inside the resource fork of the file. The resource for is normally used for storing the file type so for application assignment without needing a file extension. The data fork is where open type fonts store the data and can be used cross platform.

Perhaps you can tell us why you are using a Windows computer and the other designers are using a Mac. From here we might be able to help out more.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back