Four colour press

Hi

I was wondering if any of you guys can help.

I am think of upgrading my press to four colour as I currently run a ryobi 512.

I only have £50,000 ($95,000) to spend. I want to buy heidelberg as I think quality is better than ryobi (that's what I have heard) and they look good too.

Can anyone tell me whats the best heidelberg to buy on my budget. I need a press that can print good quality and relatively quite easy to operate.

Will I have to also buy a ctp system or am I okay still using posi plates.

And also do Heidelberg ctp systems be used on any of their four colour presses.

Look for a Komori Lithrone 420. Its a 4 color 20" machine. You can print alcohol free and the servicebudget on this machine is very low. Max sheet size is 375 x 520 mm (14 3/4 X 20 15/32 inches I think)

It really depends what you are trying to do - If you are someone that wants to print colour because in your heart you want to be a printer then good luck to you - However £50,000 will buy you nothing. The most you could hope for is a two colour GTO and then you still have to make plates . My view would be to move to a digital press - reconditioned Indigos are available in the UK

Peter

really for less than $100,000 you should just sub out the work if you want to make money. a 4 color gto will drive you into the poor house trying to compete with the trade printers. make ready and blanket and impression cylinder washup. you could buy a used di and do okay would be better than the gto.

$500,000 would be a starting point for a 4 color press that will have the bells and whistles you would need to be competitive. And that would be a used price. You really need an Aqueous coater to go with it. Without the coater you are looking at much longer dry times and a lot more spray powder that will give the sheets that sand paper feel. As mentioned stay away from older GTOs. They do not have proper front lay sensors and because of it the sheets can go in skewed or a seam from a sheet can go through and trash all the blankets. Max speed is around 7K and I have not met many operators who can figure out the feeder so the press will keep running especially on book weight stocks.

GTO is a great press, but it does not have a lot of automation. A 4 color press will cost you around $200,000 (dollars US) used or a bit less, but you will not find one for $95,000 that is in good shape. If you do not have the business for it, the lease payment can be a hinderence. As for the comment on competing against the "trade printers," if you're a trade printer, you will not be able to compete against the larger presses. If you're a retail printer than you should be fine; you just need to price your work around the trade printers' price with your markup.

not to be contrary, but I would just like to say we had gto's for 20 years. I never thought there would be anything better. then we bought a used sm 52. we now do twice the work with no overtime when it comes to 4 color. its like 5 times the work. running speed on long runs is above 10000iph on the gto we were lucky to hit 5500-6000. if just getting started I would farm out the work untill I had enough to by a press. then buy a good one.

not to be contrary, but I would just like to say we had gto's for 20 years. I never thought there would be anything better. then we bought a used sm 52. we now do twice the work with no overtime when it comes to 4 color. its like 5 times the work. running speed on long runs is above 10000iph on the gto we were lucky to hit 5500-6000. if just getting started I would farm out the work untill I had enough to by a press. then buy a good one.
This was our experience with the switch from the GTO to the SM52. We were not able to be competitive with the GTO. Even with a good operator the GTO does not have a coater which is a must. Most customers on 4 color jobs expect the sheet to be aqueous coated.

I will agree with the last two posts that the SM52 blows away the GTO. Frankly if I had had my way we would had purchased a used SM52 instead of a GTO, but I did not have final say and lost my argument.

If you can get a used SM52 for a similar price of a GTO, that's the hot ticket. But if your beginning to grow your four color market and a GTO is more affordable, as compared to a SM52, then a GTO is a great starter press. My plans are to replace the GTO with a SM52 within two years and add a metal platesetter as well.

I have to agree with the last statement a metal ctp is a must as well. a real time saver. we bought a use prosetter 2 years ago and wow what an improvement.

also dlux equipment in chicago has a 1 year old pm52. basically the same as a sm52. you could make an offer. they are asking $250,000.00

business cards

business cards

Hi Guys...

looking at some ideas to start doing next day short run business cards and flyers... what would you recommend?

many thanks and merry xmas

Hello

Hello

Hi BB,

Many thanks for your reply, especially over the festive holidays....

May i ask, the full manufacturers name? as we are here in spain i think i may find it harder.. Have you used a card slitter?

Best Wishes

:)

hello..

i have been offered a good deal on a docucolour 6060.. what are your views? for doing business cards and short run flyers..

if going digital xerox is good. ask for a demo before buying or a 3 month trial. will it do card stock heavy enough for your customers. we are finding more people wanting 14pt business cards. digital is good for short run flyers, but not on runs of 2,500+

If your budget wont stretch to a speedmaster and you want more than a gto why not look at a MO? I´ve worked on an MOV & an MOF and found them very reliable, low on startup waste and had no bother running with or without alcohol.

Your all wrong

Your all wrong

You're all wrong. You can buy a fantastic printing press for £50,000.

Actually our company do run a ryobi 512 and recently purchased a glunz & jensen 2400 which is 0.3mm gauge. This CTP system is fantastic. Once these plates are on the press only minor adjustments are required in terms of registration.

We have purchased a ryobi 524h for £45,000! Yes and we have secured tenders with the Liberal Democrats and NHS.

And yes we can compete with other printing companies even if they have a 6 colour or 12 colour press as we have lower overheads.

The press is fantastic; main thing being the off press controls for inking and plate registration. I agree you need a larger budget for auto plate changing, blanket cleaning etc.. but believe me when I say we have done some fantastic work on this press.

Heidelberg is good but these ryobis are good too. Good machines and why have people recommended buying a DI press. They're rubbish.

there is a di pro on ebay right now for 85,000. I would buy that before I would buy a ryobi. but ryobi also makes the presstek di machine. I had a heidelberg qmdi. It was nice but I would go sm 52-4 if it was my only press. the di's are great starter presses for getting into good color work. if you look you can find a qmdi for under $40,000.00 sometimes under $25,000

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back