Free PDF Creation for Cusomers?

zcto7

A big problem we have is getting customers to send in decent PDFs. Unless they are using programs that can export directly, they are lost. Is there a free solution that will create a PDF (preferably a PDF/X1a) without a lot of hassle? The closest I have found is Bullzip, but was wasn't sure if there is a better solution.

I use CutePDF after I saw it recommended in American Printer. There are other free PDF programs out there- doPDF, PrimoPDF, and PDF995. I doubt any of these programs make PDFs to prepress standard but I'm all digital so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I use CutePDF to for Word and Publisher files that people send me so I can use my imposition program. You have to be careful, I may be using it wrong, but I have a hell of a time making custom sizes. And sometime, it will have trouble embedding fonts. I even had text just disappear! But ultimately, I find it almost indispensable.

We prefer for clients to make the PDF, so that they are responsible for font embedding etc.

If they are using MS Office 2007 products, we encourage them to use the following add-on:

Download details: 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS

Although, not bullet proof or a PDF/X standard, this does make more acceptable PDF files in many cases (they do need extra work for being press ready, as MS Office is of course RGB based).

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back