FTP Use

[email protected]

Registered Users
We host our own FTP site since we started using ftp back in the late eighties. We currently use Filezilla FTP server software and a Java based program from JScape called Secure FTP applet.

We do not feel this software runs consistantly well and often gives us problems with clients not able to transfer the files, coming in or going out.

Any recommendations aside from using the cloud?

Dan Kelliher
Carter Printing Company

Depending on what you have you can use Pure-FTPd for Mac/Linux, Mac OS X Server's FTP server, Windows IIS or the paid apps like Rumpus or Crush. WSFTP is a great server too.

I am pretty confident that Mac OS X Server can serve sFTP. Windows Server 2008 probably will serve sFTP but Windows Server 2003 won't. I know that Windows 7 will.

They are all pretty robust and should "serve" your needs very well.

I have used a dedicated linux server http://bit.ly/SMEserver for about 6 or 8 years which is free but donations are gratefully accepeted. Prior to using this I tried 2 times unsuccessfully to set up a standard Red Hat server but was put off by the many configuration options for Desktop and Server. SMEserver dedicates itself to being a server which you may configure easily using a Web browser from another computer once the basic install is done. I've also experimented with Ubuntu but prefer SMEserver for operation, Ubuntu does make a good Desktop Linux however.

It requires a dedicated computer but a Pentium 4 with 512 megs of RAM or better, wll serve perfectly and it provides

File server
Email server
FTP server
HTTP web server

The operating system supports mirrored drives with standard controllers. We use Western Digital Black 5 year warranted SATA Terabyte drives.

I additionally configured using Soupermail | Download Soupermail software for free at SourceForge.net people may upload files to me from a web page. I receive them as very large attachments to my email. It works with my PC's and did work with my Mac before I went entirely PC based. If you choose to consider this method I had provided information on the forums on http://bit.ly/SMEserver so a quick search for soupermail there should provide the information you need to know.

For outgoing I would have to save to FTP or web and provide a link to client, this is not to often so I've just provided temporary links via http web to a folder not referenced from my web site.

Ken Graham
CommunityPrinters.com
250-782-7108

Last edited:
I have had PureFTPd running on a Mac (currently a mini!) for several years. I can set up private client areas as needed, and have had very little problem with its use. You would do well (and it may be necessary) to get a static IP address.

Pat

Depending on how your network is set up you can use dynamic DNS. But having a static IP would be beneficial for a number of reasons. PureFTPd on the Mac has a GUI called PureFTPd Manager and it's great.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. We are going to look at several offerings mentioned. This PrintPlanet forum is terrific!

Dan Kelliher

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back