Get JDF data into a hot folder workflow?

gking11

I have a hot folder that works perfectly for drag-and-drop jobs that require no intervention from the artist (straight to plate). The problem is that those jobs require distortion and while it's built into the image assembly module, it won't work due to the fact that hot folders are static and don't read from JDF data. Is there a way to somehow import that data into the hot folder or some kind of workaround? It would be nice then these jobs can bypass the art department completely and save everyone a ton of time and headache.

Thanks, but unfortunately I am clueless as to the art of coding and I only have so much time to devote to learning that.

More specific information is required. Platform, software options, configuration, specific steps etc. Where is the JDF file located? Where are the art files that require processing? Where/how is the workflow software or RIP informed of the scaling information in the JDF file, is it expecting a “file pair” or some other mechanism?

For example, with PitStop Server and it’s Smart Preflight job ticket based feature, an XML or JDF file with a matching PDF need to be in the hot folder for the variables in the preflight to be using the information in the XML/JDF file (my-filename.pdf + my-filename.xml). In an automated job ticket based preflight workflow, the paired PDF + XML/JDF may have to be copied/moved/renamed to the hot folder from their source folders.

http://www.slideshare.net/StephenMar...pitstop-server

Stephen Marsh

I have a hot folder that works perfectly for drag-and-drop jobs that require no intervention from the artist (straight to plate). The problem is that those jobs require distortion and while it's built into the image assembly module, it won't work due to the fact that hot folders are static and don't read from JDF data. Is there a way to somehow import that data into the hot folder or some kind of workaround? It would be nice then these jobs can bypass the art department completely and save everyone a ton of time and headache.

Last edited:
Yeah, like Stephen said, if you can share more details about your setup, the actions you'd like to perform, and examples of what you have for input -- I'm sure many of us here can show you how to automate this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back