getting halftone patterns after ripping, need solid

V

Visualaid

How can I make files I rip not halftone'd? For example, I'll send a 1/0 file to the rip and then check it out in "roam", and it has the dot patterns. I need there to be no dot patterns, I need a solid. Is this because of what native program the "designer" used, or is there some work-around for this?

Could be a multitude of issues. If the original art text was RGB black, then that can easily be the cause. But I'd need to see the PDF to make a determination.

Thanks for replying. I use PitStop to turn the black to 100%. I never use RGB unless it's for web. -- Drop the .pdf into InDesign and send to plate. Could it be an outdated rip system?

could be... The objects that are being screened, what color are they? Separation black, k of CMYK, spot black, device gray, rgb? I'd like to see the PDF if you can send it, or a page, to me.

It's not any .pdf in particular. For example, 1/0 .pdf, designer made the black text rgb, so I change the black text in PitStop to 100% black ( k ) . Save the .pdf and setup in InDesign and send to plate. Sometimes it's screened, sometimes it's solid. I am trying to figure out for the pressman's sake to have it solid everytime.

Sounds like a color conversion is going on. What happens if you make it 0% gray (device gray, not K of CMYK)?

Right. So when I send to plate in InDesign, I use In Rip Separations, and uncheck everything but the black so all that is sent is the black plate ( because that's all there is after I convert the black in PitStop. Pretty frustrating, I've tried many different things to figure this out; optimizing the pdf, using a tif, using a grayscale tif, turning on and off overprint preview, saving as eps and sending that way, I've tried it all.

It's a DPM rip system. I'm not too familiar with it. We are getting a Harelquin rip in a week, so I will be trained on it. So I'm printing to a print preset in InDesign the previous prepress guy made that is to the DPM rip system.

If I recall correctly the DPM is a Harlequin RIP. What are the print settings for InDesign? Can you email it to me?

How can I make files I rip not halftone'd? For example, I'll send a 1/0 file to the rip and then check it out in "roam", and it has the dot patterns. I need there to be no dot patterns, I need a solid. Is this because of what native program the "designer" used, or is there some work-around for this?

Try ripping the job with no calibration set...If that works it could be the calibration, I have vague memories that of a feature of HQN rips that if you read 100% on the 98% patch and entered this in, you would get a screened dot on solids

Try ripping the job with no calibration set...If that works it could be the calibration, I have vague memories that of a feature of HQN rips that if you read 100% on the 98% patch and entered this in, you would get a screened dot on solids

I'm not sure what you mean by no calibration set or a 100% patch or 98% patch.:confused:

canon 8000 question

canon 8000 question

The ink is rubbing off the banners. What is causing this. Canon IPF8000 printer. I printed on a fabric banner roll, settings for fabric banner, ink still rubs off.
What is the difference between solvent and aqueous? How can I tell which the Canon IPF 8000 uses? I can't find it in manuals, or Google.

I need to figure this out quickly.

solved...

solved...

So I figured out with the DPM rip, it only likes pdf's with the black changed to 100% in PitStop. I get no half-tone patterns now. Other places I've worked in prepress, I could send a .tif ( rasterized ) and get no half-tone patterns. But that doesn't work with this small rip system and poly plates.:

As far as the ink rubbing off the banners from a Canon IPF 8000, the roll I was trying to print on is considered vinyl and not fabric or canvas. So there is not a vinyl setting on the Canon. I used the Special 1 setting and the ink does not rub off.

Hope this will help someone in the future. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back