GMG Color Proof Vs Kodak Matchprint

Darren I

I am currently looking at a two proofing systems for a contract colour proof. GMG Color Proof and Kodak Matchprint using an Epson 9880.
Both systems are Fogra accredited and have proof certification. Commercially both systems fit the bill. The question is this. Once you get past the marketing blurb which is the better system and why?
Any feedback would be very welcome.

Darren

Gmg

Gmg

Just had GMG installed last week. Previously we were using a Creo Integris (Best Color Rip with Creo's name). The GMG gives a lot more capabilities, the ability to create your own profiles, and a spot color editor to adjust the color of spot colors or read them in with iOne right from the pantone book or any other source.

I do not have any experience with Kodak Matchprint. We have been using GMG for about a year and a half, and it is quite a system. The support from GMG has been quite good and they are a major player in this arena. I don't think it would be a mistake to invest in GMG, I'm glad we did. We will be upgrading our printers and GMG next year. You may want to wait until Epson releases the x900 series of printers(supposedly rumored for November 2008?) These will have a built in spectro and with GMG you can schedule linearization and qualification so it is done in the background. The x900 series will also use an 11 ink set(the odd number because you can now load Photo and Matte Black and switch on the fly.Epson has also added a green and orange ink to increase color gamut for better spot matching.)
Regards,
Todd

Last edited:
Do not go with Matchprint ...

Do not go with Matchprint ...

There is no support or updates for Kodak Matchprint servers anymore. They were end of lifed a few years back. Look it up for your self.

I know nothing of a GMG Color Proofer but I do know about the Kodak Matchprint.

GMG, ORIS, Kodak shootout

GMG, ORIS, Kodak shootout

Our company conducted an inkjet RIP shootout last October. We asked the three vendors CGS, GMG and Kodak to provide us with inkjets based off of our specific Kodak Approval for comparison. We provided them with Kodak Approval proofs that contained their required targets and some reference images for visual comparison. All three were impressive. GMG came in first place with Kodak at a very close second. Surprisingly, ORIS was the proof that was the furtherest off in regards to color match. The GMG guys turned our request around within two days with hardly any effort. That plus the excellent color match spoke volumes to us, so we've decided that all new inkjet purchases will be driven by GMG. We also had each vendor conduct WebEx demonstrations with how their RIP products work. That way we could see the ease of use. Kodak approaches their profiling, etc. differently than GMG and ORIS. To me, it was just as easy, but simply completely different. The new Kodak Matchprint RIP is NOT based on the old Best RIP, it's completely different. Kodak and Creo developed the Matchprint RIP that is sold today. We have the old Matchprint RIP driving an HP 5500. It's junk. Oh, we had all three vendors test the Epson 9880. ORIS also provided proofs on the HP DesignJet Z3100. We liked the Epson proofs better. It should be mentioned that GMG support is limited compared to Kodak and ORIS.

Gmg

Gmg

Go with GMG every time they are getting to be industry standard in the UK. Clients are asking for "GMG"s by name. GMG are specifically about proofing and colour, Kodak have a wider agenda!!
MarkF

>Clients are asking for "GMG"s by name

Hopefully there asking for verification toward their desired output intent, rather than just a brand name. I'm a big fan of GMG's myself, but integrity of the proof should be verified by other means than just the logo. I wouldn't even mention this, but I've heard it on other forums that clients have rejected proofs regardless of how they measure because they weren't GMG. I've had the shoe on the other foot (printer demanding a specific proof type despite verification of accuracy), and its no fun.

Clients are asking for "GMG"s by name

Clients are asking for "GMG"s by name

As a matter of course all proofs are verified against the standard with Proof control!!!! (we use our own logo)
As long as a proof can be verified against the required standard then it's good to go, no matter what system it's from.
I think it's being "proofist" to request a certain make of proof..

MarkF..

gmg

gmg

I am voting for gmg also. Have been using it for a year and a half and it is the best system I ever seen. Very easy to work with. Very stable and accurate. They do not support the newest Canon printers. It works great with Epsons or Hp Z printers. I have both. Any questions pm me.

GMG vs Oris

GMG vs Oris

We are evaluating Oris and GMG to run hpz2100 plotters, I am leaning toward GMG, but I heard Oris has printers spooling but GMG is not.
Any one has any suggestion?

Do you mean gmg prints directly to the printer and Oris is sending data to Windows driver?

I can tell you that in GMG with hp Z printers or new 880 series Epsons you can print both ways. Having direct connection is favored as it is faster and it can give you additional info about the printer status, ink levels etc.

But you can turn it off in gmg ver 4.5 and above and use Windows driver if you like.

BTW. I have gmg and HP Z2100 (44").

in gmg- right click on the printer - open printer settings, under spooler turn off - "print direct to printer". Voila!

Last edited:
We went with GMG after having the Creo Integris. We have a Kodak Matchprint too. The GMG uses HPz2100s with the built it i1. I come in every morning and have calibrated proofers. The GMGs calibrate every night with GMG. Proof Control is great. Gracol7 out of the box. GMG is just better all around. Each proof is verified automatically by the Z2100.

We do have a Matchprint. We use it for imposed Proofs and the oversized stuff. The Matchprint is nice but the software is just not as clean as the GMG is for calibration, setup. The GMG is just really easy to use and makes sense.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back