Good short-run CTP

Verdant

Hi everyone,
I work for a company that has outsourced printing for years and has finally decided to bring it in-house. We are currently looking for a CTP to make polyester plates to run on some ABDick 9910s (or 9920s, I forget which ones) to print short run (100-2000) 1 or 2 color jobs and the occasional long run of 40-60000 (which I know I'll have to re-image poly plates on those jobs) . The bulk of the work will be solid text, but there will be also be the occasional screened image we'd need to run as well. We'll also be applying thermography at the same time.
We looked at using a digital duplicator like a Riso or Standard, but the quality wasn't good enough for our application, so decided to go with the ABDick press instead.
I've done a lot of searching on these forums, and from there have looked into some various plate makers. I'm currently getting pricing on a Xante Platemaker 5, as well as an ABDick DPM 34HSC and a Mitsubishi Eco 1630. So far the Xante is winning in price, but I know that you often get what you pay for. I like the fact that the Xante is chemical free, but don't know how well the plates will hold up on the press.
Any recommendations as to which platemaker we should go with? Image quality is a huge factor.
Thanks for the help!
Verdant

Mitsubishi Eco 1630 Type II (if buying used) Type IIIR if buying new.
These are proven machines that are made just for quality poly output.

Any old imagesetter is able to work with poly (Mitsubishi SilverMaster or AGFA SetPrint)
ABDick DPMs are actually internal drum film imagesetters from Danish Scanview A/S (swallowed by Creo) installed on the top of the processor without wash and dryer sections.

Poly CtP

Poly CtP

Don't forget Printware's PlateStreams. Printware, LLC You will find that many of your competitors are very happy with these very affordable and high quality systems that comes with a complete service and supplies package direct from the manufacturer.

The only ones I know anything about are the AB Dick / Presstek units.

The 2508 will get you (accurate) auto punching and drying and 20 plates an hour or so. Good quality, but not daylight safe (despite what the literature claims). Will image good quality 175lpi plates all day long. You can pick these up for next to nothing. Very reliable, but the question is how long will the spare parts still be available (they stopped making them 5 years or so ago). Probably good for a few years yet.

The smaller version (can't remember the model number) was also very good. No punching, no drying, but otherwise the same on resolution. If you can pick up the 2508 for next to nothing, then I guess someone will probably pay you to take away one of the smaller machines.

Hope that helps.

Because of price, my boss is heavily leaning towards the Xante. I know you get what you pay for, but need to know if anyone has any compelling reasons for us to NOT go with the Xante?

Verdant,

It is all about press performance. If you haven't done the press tests of plates from the various poly CtP manufacturers, I suggest you get that done first. It shouldn't anymore than a few days to get done. Printware can be reached at 800-456-1400 X418.
Jack Makowski
VP Business Dev
Vanguard Graphics (parent of Printware)

It depends if you want punched (which the ECO does not do) ready to hang plates coming off the platesetter and the lowest cost of operation available for the highest quality.

Well, the comparable cost of operation, with all due respect, I would differ with you on. As for the punching, I think it takes us all of 5-10 seconds to punch a plate so not a big problem, As for the suggestion of trying different plates, you would be insane not to before your purchase. We always try several different types before purchasing any equipment. Xante I'm sure has a good product, having never used it, but there are so many other companies emerging in the CTP business that a person had better do some research or you will be sorry for your purchase almost guaranteed. Look at G&J new technology also along with VIM's . Do your research.

Printware does NOT sell the ECO. We sell what we make here in Minnesota, as we have for 13+ years, the PlateStream line of platesetters. The same base design that Mitsu purchased from Printware 12+ years ago with their first digiplaterthe SDP 1800. Since then there has have been numerous improvements made to the design to make it the industry leader that it is.
Jack Makowski
Vanguard Graphics (parent of Printware)

Ctp

Ctp

The Mitsi ECO is a great machine. Printware makes great machines too. Even the Laser Gods at PressWreck are selling the ECO as thier new DPM......Go figure.

A used DPM 2340 is good also. The DPM 34 is not bad but had issues. If you purchase a used DPM I have all the Presswreck manuals and bulletins from past to present.

OG

My suggestion would be to purchase an HP 5000 Laser printer ($425.00 on E-Bay) see below:
(HP Laserjet 5100n Printer CtP Laser Platemaker 5000 - eBay (item 130356845157 end time Feb-04-10 07:49:48 PST))

and purchase paper plates from Baseline (Base-Line - Products: Offset Printing Plates)

This would be the cheapest easiest way to produce CTP plates for those duplicators. Especially when it was you that stated that " The bulk of the work will be solid text, but there will be also be the occasional screened image we'd need to run as well."

As far as the screened images if they are really heavy screen a plate-maker like A.B.Dick Digital PlateMaster 34 SC/HSC would not work anyway. I have one and any time we have heavy screens we send out to have metal plates made. It will work for light coverage screens but not heavy coverage screens. Not to mention the fact you will have to buy rolls of Mega plate material at $250.00 per roll, activator, stabilizer etc. They activator and stabilizer have to be changed monthly...

My suggestion is to crawl before you walk. Find a vendor to produce plates for you ("on occasional jobs that have heavy screens"), invest $600.00 into a HP 5000 desktop printer and a box of Baseline plates and go at it. If you see that you are spending a lot of $$$ in having your vendor produce plates them go ahead and add the A.B.Dick Digital PlateMaster 34 SC/HSC or similar machine to your equipment list. You can still use the HP5000 as a office printer or make plates for certain jobs on it?

I hope this helps!

CtP Polyester

CtP Polyester

Ripit used systems available now in 13.3 or 15.75" Inline with Openrip Symphony PDF workflow is the way to go for fast and high quality polyester plate output. from 1200 DPI 120LPI to 2400 DPI 150-175LPI the Ripit is the best remaining option on the market when you consider cost, support options, workflow, features and ease of use.

Up to 150 lpi poly and metal plates are available. The system is around $8,995 or $9,995 and then you would need to add an Epson 4880, 7880 or 7900. If you already have one of these then you could use your existing printer since there are no modifications necessary on the printer. The technology is in the plates themselves so you use standard Epson inks.

Rip-it

Rip-it

It will be a Rip-it if your going metal plate dont buy it is bad send me an e-mail i will tell you why

Because of price, my boss is heavily leaning towards the Xante. I know you get what you pay for, but need to know if anyone has any compelling reasons for us to NOT go with the Xante?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back