Greeting cards

andy1966

We currently produce upto 8 million greeting cards every year and was wondering if there is any quicker way to cut, score and fold these cards than with a guilotene and longford card converter. Any ideas

greeting cards finishing & folding & varnishing

greeting cards finishing & folding & varnishing

We currently produce upto 8 million greeting cards every year and was wondering if there is any quicker way to cut, score and fold these cards than with a guilotene and longford card converter. Any ideas

Hi Andy,

Are you printing the cards traditional litho? What about a Heidleberg to cut and crease? In my experience it's a better finish than your method as you can have the cutter made with a 1mm smaller back page to accommodate any folding issues, in particular if you're creasing across the grain. Personally I'm not a lover of scoring as it can end up looking untidy when the colour wraps around page 1 and 4 and in the worst cases I've seen cards ending up in two pieces! –Not mine I hasten to add!!!

I'm off to see a demo of the Duplo Du-Creaser next week... not sure whether it'll do my volumes which are only about 1 million a year. Also looking at UV varnishing machines or liquid laminates as they seem to be called now!

I'm based in the UK.

I'd really like to hear any other feedback you get!
[email protected]

Cheers

Hi Andy

This site has logged me in as a completely different person! Quick call security! But the last post was from me not "username"!

Cheers

We dont do the volume that you do but you can buy a tri creaser and connect it to your slitter shafts on a Stahl or MBO folder. Score on the main folder and fold on the 8 pager. Google it. We buy folder parts from a local supplier called Update LTD and they sell a score kit called the ultimate score deluxe kit which I feel is better then the tri creaser. Depending on the size of the cards you could probably do around 20K per hour with this system

Can you please tell what about the Ultimate Score Deluxe kit makes it better than the Tri Creaser?

Thank you,

Al

Depends on your press. If you have 5 heads and a fairly recent Komori or Heidi, there's a company that will convert one head to die cut & creasing, so you could at least crease in-line and probably save yourself a lot of cutting too. Sorry, I can't remember the name, but just google it or there was a PrintWeek article about the system earlier this year. Apparently you can convert the head back pretty easily to printing. I've got no experience with this system, they just sent me the brochures on spec, but it might be worth looking at for your volumes as it would save you a lot of time.

Can you please tell what about the Ultimate Score Deluxe kit makes it better than the Tri Creaser?

Thank you,

Al

Tri creaser may have improved over the last five years. What we like better about the deluxe kit is it seems to handle the first 1/4 inch better. Also we feel it does a better score. The tri creaser has black tire like bands on the outside which are prone to making slight marking on the sheet

Thank you,

Al

Al, I can't tell you what makes it better, maybe it's the rubber on rubber. I can tell you with my Xerox DC8000AP and by new Baum 2020, the Ultimate Score ran circles around the Tri-Creaser. I actually had Denny from D&R Bindery (the maker of Ultimate Score) fly into Sydney, Ohio at the Baum Factory to prove to me the Ultimate Score wasn't snake oil. I couldn't believe it could do what he said at half the cost.

You'll have to peel my Ultimate Scores from my cold dead hands if you want them!!

Andy,
I figure that u print around 50k 28" sheets a month to produce 8meg cards per year. I trust that the current method is the cheapest.
However, if your plan to expand and your cards are only one size - Check Slitting Machines, Numbering Machines, Scoring Machine, Print Finishing Equipment, Perforating - Rollem International. They have a great machine for trimming cards out of a whole 20" or 28" sheet. They can connect their output to your Longford and then only 1 operator will run the machine. But, I am afraid that your volumes are too low to justify the cost.
The other option u have for trimming is an automatic guillotine from BLUMERAG.com. Here too – ROI is a question.
The benefit from these machines is that the operator not needs to be a Master Operator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back