Guillotine pressure and few sorts of paper, help needed..

magnetas

Hey guys,

We do own a hydraulic EBA guillotine with an adjustable pressure - we use few sorts of paper on the digital: is there any list of recommendations how to adjust the pressure on the guillotine for the kinds of paper? Like different weight, etc.?
When you cut few kinds of paper, starting from 90gsm to 300 gsm, glossy, silk, etc., it is not good to use the same pressure? It must be adjusted, so I have been told. Maybe that is the reason the machine cuts worse and worse, the service tells nothing..
Maybe You guys have some ideas or recommendations? Would be helpful.. a lot:)
Could You mail me on [email protected]?
Would appreciate..

Use more pressure on coated stocks than uncoated. More on text weights than cover. We cut 90% of all we do on 1500psi. The problem with thicker softer stocks is the clamp will leave a mark on the sheet with too much pressure. However, not enough pressure and you will see knife pull. Sometime you have to stack several sheets of chipboard on top of your lift so you can use more pressure but not leave a mark from the clamp in the stock. It's a lot of trial and error.

Also depends on how many sheets you're cutting. With a full lift you will want a higher clamp pressure then if you are just cutting 50 sheets.

tried the sharpening. did not help - also i think the knifes are in a bad condition, the machine was bought used.
it is old, build year is 1992..:)
the handle on the machine where the pressure is shown does not show the pressure when you are adjusting it. i do not know if it is how it should be on the machine, it shows the pressure only when during the cut. so how can i adjust it like in a normal way, not spoiling the nerves while cutting a piece of paper and trying to adjust the pressure..
so coated stocks has to get more pressure, uncoated - less?
tried to cut 10 SRA of business cards, printed on a soft 250 gsm - the paper moved, so the cut was terrible. more pressure was needed, perhaps? so that the paper does not move?

Could it be that there is a leak in the hydraulics which is getting worse and worse, and that prevents the pressure from being constant during the cut?
What size is this machine? What is the maximum size sheet that can be cut with it?
What brand and model of cutter is it. Is there a web site where we can see an image of it and learn some details from the manufacturer?

Al

the last post got lost i guess:)

it is an EBA Multicut 10/550 CNC. 550mm is the maximum what we can cut with it. will try to see the hydraulics if i am lucky today. but the last time it seemed that even the calibration of the machine is far away from the truth..
i took some pictures of it:
http://www.wpress.lt/eba/eb1.jpg
http://www.wpress.lt/eba/eb2.jpg
http://www.wpress.lt/eba/eb3.jpg

and.. i tried the pressure once more. the minimum pressure cuts, the knife is going down. the middle and maximum pressure with the handle - and the knife stays in it's place. does not move at all.
hydraulics?

got a visit from a technician yesterday evening: he told that it is a hydraulics fault, took some parts with him, but he also told, that it is probably the pump problem also after (!) telling us we should find the spare parts and fix it ourselves also. that is after they sold us the second hand machine. well, that is the sad moral side of the whole thing, but you were right, it is the hydraulics. the working of the knife was a total disaster, also there was no pressure adjustment. so now we must kind of stop the digital production and look where to cut all of it, as a new machine is very expensive. competitors do not want to help and the other printing houses own machines that are way too big for digital production..:)
the same happened with a booklet maker we got second handed from the same company. it is a total disaster. they admitted it yesterday, but there are no guarantees and they refuse to take it all back:)
so thanx guys for your help again!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back