Heidelberg XL105 - Slow Down Wheels

herbert

Hi All

We currently run a Heidlelberg XL105 at 18,000ph. In the delivery section the press has a set of 5 wheels that slow down the sheet (Greens bands with holes in). If the sheet is full coverage the wheels mark the print, so to stop this we seal the Job, but to seal all Jobs can be expensive.

The holes on the band seem to gather ink, then inturn mark the print.

The part 'fix' is to make sure where the wheels mark in the bleed area, but some times this may not be possible.

Can anyone help or have experience on how to deal with such a issue..sealing all Jobs is not a fix.

1)set the sheet brake speed closer to 100% . That meens tha the sheet brake belt runs at the closer speed as the sheet.
2) set the suction air individually. Open the door panel of the delivery (left hand side)mand reduce or shut off vacuum on the brake modules number 2 and 4
3) remove the belt of the break modules number 2 and 4 if necessary and always run modules 1 and 5 at the edge of the sheet. There are gray belts with no ridge that are more suitable for sensitive surfaces.

Have a look at the operating manual . It can give you some advice

Thanks for that

Are these 3 different options or do you doo all 3 ?

Have you had similar problems?

...If the sheet is full coverage the wheels mark the print, so to stop this we seal the Job, but to seal all Jobs can be expensive....

Sorry a little offtopic, but help a future pressman from Finland to understand the conversation. What do you mean, in this case, by saying "to seal the job"? Or does it just simply mean you stop print job and start another?

Thanks!

To seal the job means to print a matt varnish all over the sheet to 'seal' in the ink. Generally the seal (which is applied via the ink fountain) is pretty poor at protecting the ink.

All 3 items of advice can be used to do what it takes to reduce the marking. If this is a new XL 105, those green belts the machine came with... you might not get same replacement. The grey ones we use, I find don't last very long...maybe 3-4 months at best. We/I are looking for an alternative belt option that lasts longer

Perspective from the prepress side: We run an XL105 and Speedmasters. I assume you are talking only about perfecting jobs? We have a layout rule in place which dictates that every perfecting job for either of these presses must have at least three 0.25 clear zones for slowdown wheels, two of which must be on the outside edges of the sheet, on at least one side of the press sheet [which the side that ends up on press bottom]. What this normally means is that we'll space product positions no less than 0.5" apart, which leaves 0.125" bleed for each position, and 0.25" clear for wheels. We use takeoff bars as well, so we'll knock out the same 0.25" gutter in these. If, for example, we're running a long piece that lies along the press sheet width, we'll try to get the pressroom's input on whether it will mark or not, otherwise we'll tell the sales/CSR that the job cannot perfect. Hope this helps-

joe

I would call Heidelberg for support, correct?

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
By Mail:
Heidelberg USA, Inc.
1000 Gutenberg Drive
Kennesaw, GA 30144
By Phone:
888-472-9655

Germany
Heidelberger Druckmaschinen Vertrieb Deutschland GmbH
Haberstraße 1
69126 Heidelberg
Germany
Link to the local branch office website:
www.de.heidelberg.com
Tel.: +49 6221 3099-0
Fax: +49 6221 3099-459
[email protected]

Last edited:
We will soon be installing a 10 colour XL 105. Presently we are using Flint's Supreme 918 bio ink on all our presses but some are telling us that we will have problems with this ink on the XL105 machine, is there anyone out there that has experience on this machine that can help us what ink is best suited for this machine.

First of all, can you perfect at 18,000 iph, somehow I don't think so, and secondly if you are running at that speed 100% on the slowdowns is way too fast, I run them at around 35% and don't have any marking problems as long as the first side is dry.

First of all, can you perfect at 18,000 iph, somehow I don't think so, and secondly if you are running at that speed 100% on the slowdowns is way too fast, I run them at around 35% and don't have any marking problems as long as the first side is dry.

The XL105 can Perfect at 15,000 IPH max. speed.

I would suggest you run a different typ of belt, check out the attachment!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 292
belts can be found through heildelburg

belts can be found through heildelburg

first off, you can move your slow down belts uowards and downward in the delivery(must stop press). If you move them down and turn of certain ones off will help, BUT I found that if you use grey belts they never mark. wet ink, varnish whatever. The down fall on them is if you running long runs of card stock they wear out quickly. Other factor could be other then the 3 above. but why battle when can replace belts for same cost

We will soon be installing a 10 colour XL 105. Presently we are using Flint's Supreme 918 bio ink on all our presses but some are telling us that we will have problems with this ink on the XL105 machine, is there anyone out there that has experience on this machine that can help us what ink is best suited for this machine.

Heidelberg saphira inks (flint inks)work best! Less misting and more stable at top speeds

We run superior on our xl 10 perfector and have no problems. Y'all are going to love that machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back