Help! Questions about 1-bit tiff workflow.

boltonranger

In another post several of you tried to help me make sense of feasibility of older platesetter. (Thank you!)
I have spoken with the fellow who ran it for a year.
It is Gretag CTP-PJ8 circa 1999
It comes with a "PlateQueue Deluxe RIP"
It is a "tiff catcher"
They ran it from an existing workflow."Artwork systems" I think he said.(I honestly don't know what Workflow means... A separate computer? A mother computer?)

I'm confused.
If this is a tiff-catcher, where and how do I create a 1 bit tiff? I presently make PS files from Quark 6.0 MAC and run film / on my AGFA Imagesetter. I create PS files in Quark for ripping by my Agfa viper 1.9 rip.(yeah I know)

How does a system with a tiff catcher actually work?
Is there a separate station/ system that would some how be a bridge between my Apple g4 that I'm presently creating PS files on and this PlateQueue rip? I'm really over my head here please be kind. If there was an emote with a bag over it's head I'd use it..
-br

Last edited:
OK here goes but bearing in mind this is from a UK perspective.

I understand a Workflow as the whole system from beginning to end. This is the moment the file is received by prepress (in whatever form) to the moment it's imaged on the plate.

To confuse matters some print sites also call some of their systems workflows that is the software which lays out pages in a book say or editions and the processing of the file through the imager.

For example a workflow understood by prepress in newsprint may consist of the following

RIP
Ink values
Impostitioning
Undercolour removal
Workplan

Whereas a software vendor providing only 1 part of that (workplan layout & processing) MAY ALSO REFER TO THEIR PRODUCT as a workflow.

For example : Agfa Arkitex

Described by AGFA as :

Integrated Workflow Automation System for Newspapers
XML-based :Arkitex provides editorial-to-press integration and automation.

A workflow can consist of just 1 part or many parts, to simplify things I tend to refer to the whole as a workflow BUT when talking to workflow suppliers I am keen to know what is integrated and what isn't.

There are many other solutions that can provide "workflows" but these tend to be used for monitoring tracking and sorting purposes. Workflow solutions come into their own in controlling the smooth running prepress departments but sometimes they can also be part of the problem.

I have come across a "TIFFBLASTER" system used by the krause imaging system which seems to do the same job as what you are describing.

However unlike AGFA the tiffblaster can control elements within the imager as well as control the workflow.

So it was more integrated than say the Agfa system.

What we used to do is have a standard 1 bit tiff file and drop it into the equivalent of the "Tiffcatcher" without it going through the workflow.

Last edited:
Basically, a TIFF-catcher acts as an intermediary between a RIP and the output device. Most output devices can image 1-bit TIFFs where the separations, trapping, and screening are already applied by the RIP. A TIFF-catcher will accept the 1-bit TIFFs from your RIP and feed them to the CTP.

Not all workflows use a TIFF-catcher - some output direct from the RIP (usually this is the case if your workflow is same vendor RIP and CTP device)

A Tiff Catcher is also known as a Shooter. This would receive a 1 bit tiff file from a rip via hot folder and would also have control software for the CtP. The Rip would be off line from the Tiff Catcher and would rip the file into a 1 bit tiff. The 1 bit tiff is a screened tiff and you would have one for each color, which would be automatically deposited into the hot folder on the Tiff Catcher/Shooter.

Here is an example with our workflow. MetaDimension is our rip and can be directly connected to our CtP. this works well for small and medium applications. The Rip is actually governed by the speed of the output device. If more throughput is needed, we would provide MetaDimension Prep, which is not directly connect to the CtP. On the CtP we would have MetaShooter (a tiff Catcher) This controls the CtP and automation if it has it. Meta Dimension would ripped files into 1 bit tiffs to send to MetaShooter via hot folder. The overhead of the CtP is on the MetaShooter so MetaDimension is not governed by the CtP output speed. We have been able to rip over 50 8 up 1 bit tiff files per hour, feeding several CtP's or our very fast CtP (38 plates per hour).

So, what you need is a rip that can generate 1 bit tiff files to send to your tiff catcher. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry Mark,

I just had a giggle at your "very fast CTP (38 plates per hour)" comment)

I know the CTP is a different kettle alltogether but if we didn't hit 200 plate per hour we would have investigated why it had slowed down.

This is why I love this industry, every set up is different and there are so many parameters that are involved.

You can download a demo TIFF RIP at
Harlequin RIP Demo, RTI Harlequin Demo TIFF, Epson, HP, CTP Platesetter RIP Software

Test outputting 1-bit TIFF files to your device. It is very complicated the way phrases get built - TIFF Catcher, TIFF Shooter, etc. One would think a TIFF Shooter is the one sending the TIFF files, but in reality the TIFF Shooter is in fact accepting the TIFF file then shooting that file (or imaging) that file on the output device.

Glad you got a giggle. I guess I did not clarify that I am referring to CtP for commercial printing, I believe you are referring to newspaper. A bit different applications:)

Regards,

Mark

Sorry Mark,

I just had a giggle at your "very fast CTP (38 plates per hour)" comment)

I know the CTP is a different kettle alltogether but if we didn't hit 200 plate per hour we would have investigated why it had slowed down.

This is why I love this industry, every set up is different and there are so many parameters that are involved.

No I did realise you were talking commercial, it was just the perception of definitions.

I don't mean to be rude Mark. That's all.

Best

Ian

Printservedigital,

No offense taken, different needs for different applications. Commercial is typically 2540 dpi, Newspaper 1200 dpi, a great difference in the amount of data to be ripped and imaged, the more data, the longer it will take to rip and image. In this case, commercial has over 4 X's the data to rip and image compared to newspaper resolution. Productivity is relative.

Regards,

Mark

Correct Mark and we used 1024 dpi rather than 1270.

A standard front page from receiving file (To be ripped) to finished plate would be typically 8 minutes and 11-12 minutes for the larger panoramic.

Simple answer

Simple answer

In another post several of you tried to help me make sense of feasibility of older platesetter. (Thank you!)
I have spoken with the fellow who ran it for a year.
It is Gretag CTP-PJ8 circa 1999
It comes with a "PlateQueue Deluxe RIP"
It is a "tiff catcher"
They ran it from an existing workflow."Artwork systems" I think he said.(I honestly don't know what Workflow means... A separate computer? A mother computer?)

I'm confused.
If this is a tiff-catcher, where and how do I create a 1 bit tiff? I presently make PS files from Quark 6.0 MAC and run film / on my AGFA Imagesetter. I create PS files in Quark for ripping by my Agfa viper 1.9 rip.(yeah I know)

How does a system with a tiff catcher actually work?
Is there a separate station/ system that would some how be a bridge between my Apple g4 that I'm presently creating PS files on and this PlateQueue rip? I'm really over my head here please be kind. If there was an emote with a bag over it's head I'd use it..
-br

Hi Mark,
A tiff catcher will accept and process properly formatted tiffs, like the files created by the rip that runs your AGFA Imagesetter, to run on the device that it runs.
Keep in mind that your AGFA RIP converts your Quark PS files to a 1-bit Tiff.
I'm not familiar with the PJ8, but, because most RIPs catch tiff files and create tiffs, it seems like you can print directly from you Mac to the PlateQueue Deluxe RIP.
An Artwork system usually consists of 2 components. ArtPro, a flexography application that is like Illustrator/Quark, and Nexus, a RIP like the one thats on your AGFA (Viper RIP?). I hope this makes sense, heh.

Printnewb

ps. Doesn't Gretag make calibrating equimpent? and I've never heard of a PlateQueue Deluxe RIP.
pss. 200 plate per hour?:confused: You must be the guy that is taking all our print jobs, hehe.

"200 plate per hour? You must be the guy that is taking all our print jobs, hehe."

No not at all That was just one publication only! Three CTP lines running from 7pm-3am run on two 10 tower presses with press stops over 4 editions.

So Metashooter is not a rip? Am I right? Hope someone can clarify.

So Metashooter is not a rip? Am I right? Hope someone can clarify.

Hi

If I am buying a Topsetter with says it comes with a - Incl. MetaShooter (1-Bit-Tiff-Connection). Do I still have to buy a rip? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Yes, if you have a Topsetter with a TIFF Catcher / TIFF Shooter you still need to have a RIP which would output your 1-bit TIFF files for you.

You can download our Harlequin RIP demo at
Harlequin RIP Demo, RTI Harlequin Demo TIFF, Epson, HP, CTP Platesetter RIP Software

or you can purchase the TIFF RIP-Kit product online at
Harlequin RIP, Harlequin RIPs, Software RIP, NEW! Harlequin Software RIP Version 8.3

The demo has a small learning curve but if you need help setting it up to test with your equipment just let us know.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back