HELP:- To choose right CtP technology

HAP

Hello All

Need y'r help, We are planning to open CtP beauro in Maharashtra-India. Here we have mostly commercial printer. Who demanding fast, Quality Consistence & Robust plates performance on machine.

To become as CtP beauro, where we have to take care different Printing machine & make sure our plate should run with out any problem on machine.

Dear frined, which CtP technology you suggest (Thermal or Violet) for us.
AND which CtP machine brand

HAP

That's a pretty broad based question.

The question I would first ask is what is it your want to achieve,

Size
Run lengths
Quality.

Your question is like going into a shop and saying I want a chocolate bar!!!

I'm freelance if you pay!!!

Hello All

Need y'r help, We are planning to open CtP beauro in Maharashtra-India. Here we have mostly commercial printer. Who demanding fast, Quality Consistence & Robust plates performance on machine.

To become as CtP beauro, where we have to take care different Printing machine & make sure our plate should run with out any problem on machine.

Dear frined, which CtP technology you suggest (Thermal or Violet) for us.
AND which CtP machine brand

HAP

Both Violet AND thermal have their pluses and negatives, pricing plays a big part of your choice, with thermal you can get the speed, but you pay for it with 64 laser.

Running as plate business you have different needs from that of inhour printer. The places I have visited have customers with all manner of presses and plates of different sizes, so what may be good for inhouse ctp (autoloader for automation / punch registartion) has less benefit in your company where you have to support as wide a range as possible

Try taking a look at the Highwater Python or Cobra, they are violet based systems, they are used by quite a few plate businesses as they have a very wide plate size range from tiny envelope press size plates which other ctp systems can not hold to 8 up. In the case of the Python it auto unloads, and swopping between plate sizes is just a case of loading the correct plate for the job. The software makes it easy to have multiple queues for different customers with different grip requirements.

Commercial printers are very suspicious to capstan systems, thinking they will get round dots in the center of plates and elliptical dots at the edges... with color tone problems.
"Leave capstan for news-printers, we need drums!" :)

Last edited:
Commercial printers are very suspicious to capstan systems, thinking they will get round dots in the center of plates and elliptical dots at the edges... with color tone problems.
"Leave capstan for news-printers, we need drums!" :)

Hmmm. That's a disappointing characterization about news-printers. I'm sure you didn't mean it.

best, gordon p

LOL.

I'm sure VLAD with your expertise on Focal length, pulse width modulation, lens dynamics, beam technology and grating scales you can easily dispel that myth now can't you ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for y'r view sir.

It true that each technology having its own neg & pos point. One has to lookinto & understand as per his own requirement. Thats also true that in thermal we may get plate on cost of 64 lsr beam where, in violet appr. need 1 or 2 laser.

But I worried about performance on press ?
I have practically seen there is good amount of different of production printed copy on Thermal & violet plate. In case of violet ink receptivity I feel is less ( MAY BE I WRONG, IT IS MY OBSERVATION), when you run thermal plate on same setting it required to reduce the ink keys.

I am not understood this point ! ! !

What is y'r view sir ?

HAP:

First, I would suggest that you find out what the print requirements are for your customers.
That will help define your overall requirement, and should help in your selection process...
run length, inks (UV?), line screen, storage conditions.

I'm not sure how far you are from our friends at TechNova in Mumbai, but they have long been
on the leading edge of CTP in India. I spoke at a CTP technology conference they sponsored in
2002 in Mumbai. I suspect they will be able to give you some guidance and support.

Regards,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back