Help with Job Orders & Organization in Press

impresslb

We are a small 4 color famly business and we are having a lot of difficulty organizing the work flow in our business.

Jobs come in to the design department and once approved go to pre-press and then to the press then delivery. We have tried all sorts of forms to fill out and job orders but we really dont know how to design a system (forms) to propperly organize the job and track it as it goes through the different departments to make sure we are following up and we dont forget any jobs. We know we need to make numbered NCR forms and have duplicates etc... but we were hoping some fellow more organized printers could share their systems r maybe even copies of the forms they use to stay on top of things. We tried to find a system out there to teach us, or templates to purchase but had no luck.

Any suggestions ? We desperately need some help.

If any of you would be kind enough to share some forms etc... please email them to [email protected]

Thank you.

Fadi Rebeiz
:confused:

We use Printsmith from EFI it seems to work very well, all of the job info is contained on the computer and a couple of sheets (usually one) of paper that follow the job jackets through the life of the job, pretty customizable and they offer training

You will get the most benefit from building a job ticket and a schedule board that are customized to your business, equipment, and capabilities. The job ticket travels with the job, and the schedule board has cards or magnets that correspond to the jobs (or forms of the job). The cards can be marked when plates are made, paper is received, ... Then, as each process is completed, the operator or supervisor moves the card to the next step.

Do you have people dedicated to customer service or production coordinators who can keep track of the jobs? You might have to look at how your shop is organized if jobs are getting lost or forgotten.

Bret

We use Printsmith from EFI it seems to work very well, all of the job info is contained on the computer and a couple of sheets (usually one) of paper that follow the job jackets through the life of the job, pretty customizable and they offer training

Thanks for your reply. We have justed using a software from PRINTMIS in the UK for estimating , its reallyl good and we are still getting used to it. As far as job ticket and job jackets , this is the administration part we need help with. Not from a software side, more on what the ticket should look like, should it be on an ncr form ? how many copies ? should it have pricing info ? which may be too private to share with all the staff in the press ? Also the job jacket, when should it be opened ? what should be inside it ? IS it possile to get copies of the forms you use ? so we understand more how to set up the form and what small checkboxes etc... should be on it ? also maybe the job jacket. I know its not rocket science, but we are tryin to avoide a steep learning curve.

Thank you so much .

Fadi Rebeiz

You will get the most benefit from building a job ticket and a schedule board that are customized to your business, equipment, and capabilities. The job ticket travels with the job, and the schedule board has cards or magnets that correspond to the jobs (or forms of the job). The cards can be marked when plates are made, paper is received, ... Then, as each process is completed, the operator or supervisor moves the card to the next step.

Do you have people dedicated to customer service or production coordinators who can keep track of the jobs? You might have to look at how your shop is organized if jobs are getting lost or forgotten.

Bret

Thanks for your reply. We have justed using a software from PRINTMIS in the UK for estimating , its reallyl good and we are still getting used to it. As far as job ticket and job jackets , this is the administration part we need help with. Not from a software side, more on what the ticket should look like, should it be on an ncr form ? how many copies ? should it have pricing info ? which may be too private to share with all the staff in the press ? IS it possile to get copies of the forms you use ? so we understand more how to set up the form and what small checkboxes etc... should be on it ? also maybe the job jacket. I know its not rocket science, but we are tryin to avoide a steep learning curve.

Thank you so much .

Fadi Rebeiz

had same problem
lately i used NCR forms, with two copies
1st part with pricing details kept attached , perforations below, part with all detaisl including oreder No. client name, description of job, quantity, paper type and weight, quantity, cut size, colour "in order".
machine to be used, No. of colours, duplex or one side
if there is numbering " from 0000 to 0000", die cutting, laminating, scoring or perforatiion, type of binding, method of packing. u may need some space for notes
every few months i adjust this form according to my needs and asking experts

Hello ,

Thanks for the info, is it possible to get a pic of your board, we really have no idea how to set it up, and where to write the customer name and how to move it along, how to put the deadline etc....

Is there a source for such boards, that make it easier, are the completely blank when you buy them.

I just need a picture of the board or a sketch etc... anything to help us set it up.

Thank you.

Fadi Rebeiz

Have a look at google docs, you can make a spreadsheet online anyone can view it over the internet , they just need a link. You can design a spreadsheet with all your jobs on it and the progress can be updated by anyone anywhere, in the office on the press etc. You only need an internet connection, its free.

Worth a look

A

I've seen all sorts, but the last two shops I have worked in used magnetic, dry erase boards, available at most office supply stores. A blank board will let you customize it to your equipment. We have a grid on the board with thin black tape, similar to pin striping tape. Jobs were put on magnetic card holders, with job number, customer name, paper size, colors, impressions...

My current shop has a digital press, two sheetfed presses, cut, fold, stitch, and hand bindery. the board is about 4 ft x 8 ft, with the equipment along the top, and the days of the week (two weeks total) going down the side. The last shop I worked in had 3 webs and 7 sheetfed presses with bindery off site. They had the days of the week across the top, and the presses down the side, and had multiple, moveable boards spanning a couple months. When one board was done, they would move it to the end, and slide the others down.

In my experience, scheduling works best when you start with the due date and work backwards.

Bret

I've seen all sorts, but the last two shops I have worked in used magnetic, dry erase boards, available at most office supply stores.

I worked at a $30 million dollar printer and the scheduling system we used was also very basic.
We had a large whiteboard in the production department. It was divided into a grid. From left to right boxes represented the days of the week. I believe that it was divided left to right into 21 boxes/days.
From top to bottom the grid was divided into customer names. I think there were about 50 spaces.
We used colored Post-it notes to represent job status. Something like - white = in prepress, yellow = plated, green = in pressroom, pink = bindery, purple = in shipping.
Each morning there would be a manager's meeting to discuss job status and the Post-it notes would be moved from left to right on the board to show the job's progression. If status notes were required (e.g. proof waiting approval) they would simply be written onto the post-it note for that job. If there was a significant problem it was indicated with a star on the post-it note.

So simply looking at the board would tell any one in production or the CSR exactly how many jobs were in the shop and within each department and their status relative to the delivery date (which was marked with a star on the board).

The board would be updated at noon and at the end of day by department heads.

Worked pretty good though and I've seen similar systems in many shops.

best, gordon p

Yet another voice for the master white board + job jacket/ticket system.

A master list (white board or spreadsheet) of jobs with clearly defined status markers gives everyone a central authority to verify information about a job as well as lets you schedule each part of the process easily.

I prefer job jackets/tickets that are divided by production process. Top third = quoting/accounting, middle third = layout/press, last third = finishing/delivery. That way the information that is needed by each part of the process is filled in from top to bottom as the job moves through the entire process.

Also note that Gordo mentioned an organizational meeting which I've found vital for organizing my shops. 15 min in the morning can save many labor-hours later. When production folks have to routinely ask CSRs/sales or designers questions about a job, you're losing money. A quick meeting about what jobs are in the pipe can reduce procedural turbulence and clear up any confusing details before they stop your presses.

Good luck!

We ended up creating our own scheduling system within Filemaker. The system is similar to how many people have described their white boards, but this is electronic. Anyone can update the status of the job while going through the shop. This way the scheduling system stays current as the job flows through the plant. We also added the ability to track this history of the job status. Which has helped to see how long it took for jobs to get produced and see the time line of the job.

What started out as a small just a scheduling system. Has now turned into a small MIS system with deliveries, emails status of jobs, etc.

We ended up creating our own scheduling system within Filemaker. The system is similar to how many people have described their white boards, but this is electronic.

Yes. You can look at building a white board system as a model for a digital system. It's very easy for everyone in the production flow to understand and it is very easy to modify as needs change. Once it settles in, it can be recreated in digital form, e.g. as pcmodem did with Filemaker. Or, it can be used as a baseline to compare dedicated MIS systems to.
Or you may decide that for you, it serves your needs and there is no need to get more "sophisticated."

best, gordon p

Yes. You can look at building a white board system as a model for a digital system. It's very easy for everyone in the production flow to understand and it is very easy to modify as needs change. Once it settles in, it can be recreated in digital form, e.g. as pcmodem did with Filemaker. Or, it can be used as a baseline to compare dedicated MIS systems to.
Or you may decide that for you, it serves your needs and there is no need to get more "sophisticated."

best, gordon p
Hi.

First thread here!

I have recently been given the task of Print Manager within our company.

We have a Pre Press dept, a Print dept (B3 2 Colour Presses) and a Finishing dept.

I want to understand how you guys Manage and Schedule the progress of a job in the factory, from the initial enquiry through to delivering the finished job.

We have a management information system, but this is not fully utilised at the moment.

Do you guys use a software system, a T Card board etc etc.

Would love to hear how you all keep track of things.

Many Thanks in advance.

Help with Job Orders & Organization in Press

Yes one should look at all the solutions available out there before investing into something critical for the plant management, we have couple of Job scheduling solutions available for you to look into which has been in used by several of our customers for last 10 years now, one being Power Builder version and our latest .Net platform.

Since 1981, Primac Systems has been developing and supporting business management solutions specifically for the Print and related industries. Our solutions are designed to improve the bottom line and provide high ROI's. Primac is known for it strong market knowledge and its ability to deliver custom solutions to the printing industry. With over 200 plant installations including commercial web, sheet-fed publications, free standing insert, book, roll label, flexographic packaging, folding carton, business forms, screen and large in-plant printers. You can visit Primac - Print & Manufacturing Solutions for further information about our company and products.

Our research and development efforts have led to business process mangement solutions that can be used in the Printing and also other industries.

PRIMAC-21 DX, is the new and improved Scheduling and Job Board application Vercom Software has launched, this application is developed on Microsoft .NET platform which makes it more powerful, efficient, this improved PRIMAC-21 DX, Scheduling application has all the existing features which are present in the Power Builder based PRIMAC-21 Scheduling application which has been in use for past many years, in production by a large number of our customers.

PRIMAC-21 DX, application is developed in compliance to the WWF (Windows Workflow Foundation), meaning this can be used as a standalone application and as well as a Pridget/Widget (Activity) in our WorkflowBP environment. With some new added features to make it more efficient, fast for the job scheduler’s to perform scheduling of the jobs.
Following functions can be performed with PRIMAC-21 DX:

1. Plant Characteristics
2. Work Center setup
3. Define Production Operations
4. Shift setup
5. Resources setup
6. Project / Job Creation
7. Project / Job Scheduling
8. Project / Job Routing
9. Project / Job Movement

If you are interested please let me know and we can arrange an online demo of the product and also introduce rest of the products and way we can help you run your plant with more efficient and cost effective way.

Thanks & Regards
Anwar Malik

Well we have a whiteboard, but we don't use it. It seems that we have had better luck in our shop with using different colors on the job jackets to indicate priority as well as equipment.

Our pressmen do the jobs in order as they receive them, so if nothing is a priority, they print based on equipment usage and how that is best optimized. But as soon as something is a rush they finish up what they have going and start that up asap.

All of this is lorded over by our production manager who has ultimate final say over everything, but doesn't micro manage, if you know what i mean.

Also, the only thing in our job jackets is the production, pre-press and bindery info, as well as any previously printed samples or art and directions given by the customer. There really is no need to have pricing in there as that is accountings deal. We don't print the accounting stuff out, it is all in the computer and managed that way. So ultimately we print 2 sheets one for the job jacket and one for paper ordering, which is then attached to the paper once it arrives in the shop.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back