high school text book mixed media - best way to print?

wonderings

We have a new client, a local high school and will be printing some of their text books and coil binding. That part is all straightforward. I am trying to figure out the best way to print this. Will be printing 2 up on 11 x 17, the issue/confusion comes because of the amount of different colour sheets I am printing. I have 9 different coloured bond papers. I have a Versant 2100 and have 6 trays I can print with. One part will be printed 1 up because of the stock supplied, all the rest is 2 up.

Now I placed an already imposed 2 up file of the entire text book (180 pages). I want to print page 33-142 first and in that break it down to 5 different coloured stocks. I went and added my "page ranges"

33-70 - green
71-94 - blue
95-112 - purple
113-124 - yellow
125-142 - peach

Now if I go into "job info" and want to select the pages I want of the pdf (33-142) I get a conflict message and if I say "ok" it will delete all the mixed media ranges I have just set.

I then thought maybe I have to put in my page range first in the "Job Info" section and then select my specific page ranges, but that does not work either.

Can what I am trying to do be done or do I need to simply separate my PDF into a few different files and go about it that way? Seems easy but I would rather not have a bunch of files if I could have one file for each text book.

This is a Fiery RIP.

Here are some screen shots, will try and go in order.

So first I have my page ranges set for what pages I want on what stock:
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 1.04.53 PM by B P, on Flickr

After this is done I will put in the page range I want in the PDF as I do not want to print the entire PDF only some pages in it
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 1.05.36 PM by B P, on Flickr

Now the above picture shows the page range I want to print but it will not allow me to type in a page range after the first image I have attached, I will get an error:
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 1.05.12 PM by B P, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 1.05.21 PM by B P, on Flickr

Seems a bit complicated as I try to explain it. Basically I have a 180 page PDF, I only want to print a section inside that 180 page pdf (pg 33 to 142). The specific section inside the 180 page pdf I want to have divided up to print on different colour stocks.

You'd save yourself a whole lot of headache by just deleting the extra pages from the PDF before you send it over.

If that's not an option, you might want to make sure you're only putting custom paper types within the range you're printing. Right now you're saying "Print 1-38 on green paper" but then you're also telling it don't print 1-33 which I think is likely the conflict.

You'd save yourself a whole lot of headache by just deleting the extra pages from the PDF before you send it over.

If that's not an option, you might want to make sure you're only putting custom paper types within the range you're printing. Right now you're saying "Print 1-38 on green paper" but then you're also telling it don't print 1-33 which I think is likely the conflict.

Yes that is what is causing the conflict. I wanted to avoid ripping apart the PDF and saving it in different parts if possible because I will have a ton of different text books to print and it would be much simpler (if it worked) to just keep 1 pdf per job. I am doing it that way for the proofs at the moment and will most likely have to do this when the jobs come rolling in in the next couple of weeks.

I was hoping I could set my page range and in that page range set the different medias required for the different pages.

Yes that is what is causing the conflict. I wanted to avoid ripping apart the PDF and saving it in different parts if possible because I will have a ton of different text books to print and it would be much simpler (if it worked) to just keep 1 pdf per job. I am doing it that way for the proofs at the moment and will most likely have to do this when the jobs come rolling in in the next couple of weeks.

I was hoping I could set my page range and in that page range set the different medias required for the different pages.

I understand that, and I think it will work, I'm just saying I think you need to make sure your custom paper stocks are only being defined in your printable range. Why are you telling it to print 1-38 on green when you're only actually printing 33-38 on green? Or are you confused, and think the fiery thinks that page 1 is now page 33?

I understand that, and I think it will work, I'm just saying I think you need to make sure your custom paper stocks are only being defined in your printable range. Why are you telling it to print 1-38 on green when you're only actually printing 33-38 on green? Or are you confused, and think the fiery thinks that page 1 is now page 33?

Well I have tried it both ways. First way I put in the actual page numbers from the PDF that I wanted. Second way I tried thinking of the Fiery renumbering based on my page range, neither worked.

Do you have compose on your fiery? Can’t you assign a paper to each page in that and then print it?

Do you have compose on your fiery? Can’t you assign a paper to each page in that and then print it?

not sure, but the problem is I have 9 different colours and only 6 trays to feed from. If I had enough trays for it all at once it would be easy and simple, but because I do not have to break it up. and print a few sections separately and then hand collate after.

not sure, but the problem is I have 9 different colours and only 6 trays to feed from. If I had enough trays for it all at once it would be easy and simple, but because I do not have to break it up. and print a few sections separately and then hand collate after.

If it was me Id split the document into 2 sections. 5 colors and then 4 colors. Print and cut stacks. Then set the first 5 on top of the stack of 4 for your 9 different colors. And then that way in compose you can assign pages 1-33 or whatever your number to be "stock A" 34-60 "stock B" etc. Then just do the same for the second half.

If it was me Id split the document into 2 sections. 5 colors and then 4 colors. Print and cut stacks. Then set the first 5 on top of the stack of 4 for your 9 different colors. And then that way in compose you can assign pages 1-33 or whatever your number to be "stock A" 34-60 "stock B" etc. Then just do the same for the second half.

That is how I am doing it, as just hoping I could do it another way that did not have me splitting up PDF's as there will be a bunch and easier to keep track of everything when as one. Not hard, just extra steps that I am doing now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

I also do have "compose" but not sure what that does differently for me then what I am doing in the regular fiery properties window.

No. Forget everything else. I have the solution.

Impose the job like you normally would in impose/compose, but instead of sending it to held, just save it as a PDF. Take that imposed PDF and drag it into the Fiery, at that time you can mix the pages dependent upon page ranges. The key thing to understand in this instance is that impose/compose does not like you selecting multiple pages after the imposition phase, so to fix this game, you have the impose done separately and saved as a PDF through impose/compose then just drag the PDF into your Fiery. Ever tried the same thing but with booklet covers from a separate tray? Does the same thing, but under the impose/compose menu you can select booklet covers and do the dance that way, but obviously complex page sections is beyond the scope of impose/compose. I believe EFI's true solution to this issue is JobMaster, which can handle all sorts of wacky complex crap, but my method will work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back