Hot Folders

I am having an issue with a hot folder that I do not understand. We have a hot folder set up for our MIS to dump an xml file to for a layout program. When PC's read from the hot folder, the file is "consumed", or taken out of the folder. However, when a Mac reads from this folder, the file stays in the folder. Then what happens is the next time someone tries to access the hot folder, the file that has already been used is the first in line, so the layout software tries to re-do that job. It does give you the option to not import the file, but then it is stuck in a loop, since the file stays first in line. I have to keep going into the hot folder on the server and clearing it out. (due to the fact that we can't figure out why any user that has total access to the hot folder cannot delete files from the folder - have tripled check permissions)
Does anybody out there know why the Mac's aren't "consuming the files when read?

Maybe try mounting the Hot Folder via SMB, rather than AFP. Is this a Mac Client that is trying t consume the xml?

It is mounted via SMB. That is the only way we could get it to connect with the Windows server. We mounted the hot folder as a volume - is this the correct way to do it? This is how the main prepress guru here said it should work. But he is also at a loss of why the Mac's won't consume the file. Not sure what you mean by Mac Client. Sorry, I live in the PC world - have to rely on others for Mac info.

Well, there is talk of getting rid of the server that the hot folder and program currently reside on. We maybe moving everything to our Mac server, that may solve the problem. However, prepress is reluctant to open the server to the company-wide network - i can't say i blame them either. They keep a pretty tight ship.

Can you manually delete the file from a finder window on the Mac, or is it just your software that is not doing it automatically for you? If you can do it manually, you probably have no OS related issues and it's just the behavior of your software. I've seen plenty of examples of unintended differences in prepress software between Mac and Windows versions.

If you can delete the file manually from the Mac, the rest of this will probably do you no good unless your software is connecting through the network with unusual credentials.

It sounds like you're connecting properly. Just in case (assuming OS X), to mount the volume, press command-K with finder active, then type cifs://n.n.n.n (n.n.n.n = IP address), and choose the shared folder name. I think "smb://..." does the same thing. Make sure that you check the security tab as well as the sharing tab for the share's properties on its host computer. If the security tab is not visible, I think you have to turn off something like "simple file sharing" somewhere in Tools > Folder Options > View from a windows explorer folder window.

The sharing securities are the first line of defense, and the easiest to configure. It's the security stuff that can be a hassle sometimes. I usually add in the users "Anonymous Logon" and "System" and give those explicit permissions because they don't always seem to be included in the group "Everyone" for some reason. Occasionally some changes have to be made to the registry for software that connects with no user credentials at all.

Alternatively, you can try to connect with AFP if your Windows version has something like "File Services for Macintosh." I think it's a system service that has to be turned on. To set up a folder to share out to Macs with AFP, right click on the "My Computer" icon, choose manage, then find "shares." In there I think you can right-click and create a new share for Macs. I'd be more specific, but I'm not near a Windows server right now.

AFP connections can't read or write filenames longer than 31 characters, and any files with resource forks (like most Mac Postscript fonts) can only be retrieved with AFP once they are stored that way.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back