How can I create non-exportable PDF files

signdude1967

I use Adobe Acrobat 7 for creating sketches for my customers... most contain bitmap and vector images. Is there an effective way to prevent this from happening: my potential customer gives my PDF file sketch to my competitor... my competitor exports my layout or opens my work in Illustrator and uses my layout work to create the project? I know you can't stop a customer from shopping around for the best price... don't care about that. I just don't want the work I've done to end up in the hands of the low bidder... after all the work is basically done for them... so they can export the vector images to do the job I was trying to land without doing any layout work. Can I make the PDF file a read/print only? non-exportable or prevent the file from being opened by any other program... such as Illustrator? How? I'm not very familiar with the security options in Acrobat 7. I just want my customer to be able to open the file and print it... not export it as a different format or open it in any other program than acrobat reader.

Now, anyone can just reproduce my work themselves (re-layout what I've done in their software). I have set standards in place that prevent my layouts from being "stolen" or reproduced without permission or payment... but you can't stop or catch everyone... and I just don't want to make it as easy. I can always just save non vector pix-elated images in all my sketches... but that's more of a pain on me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I can always just save non vector pix-elated images in all my sketches... but that's more of a pain on me.
You can password-protect files for print only, but a sneaky dog, like myself, can get around it.
I suggest you rasterize, as you mentioned, at the lowest resolution that allows a moderately decent screen rendering and a letter-size (8.5 x 11) print.
You can offer your "customer" a better image when you actually get the job.
In my experience, the best you can do is make it difficult for someone to use your work.
(I always thought designers were naturals at this.)
m.

I agree with Cmd-P's advice, and I would consider adding a watermark across the art as well.

Using lo-res images with watermarks should be plenty to deter people from using your artwork. You can even purposely blur a small part of your images...kinda like a self-censor if you will.

Layout can easily be reproduce by anyone that knows the applications well enough, that you can't really prevent. The only thing uniquely yours is what's done by hand.

I agree with Sherbert. Don't do any work without taking payment or at least a deposit.

It's not just a matter of securing the PDFs or watermarking the jpegs, it's the design idea, the thinking behind the design which is the most valuable part of the artwork. As you said, any artwork can be reproduced by anyone with knowledge of destop publishing software.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back