How can I get my pdf to print?

GGaryG

I have a 1000 page pdf file which was originally constructed by merging multiple pdf files together in Acrobat 7. Whenever I print it there are all kinds of random errors at random points depending which program I use (even Acrobat won't touch it, and it created it). Can I convert it to an error-free pdf? If not which program can I use to recombine the original files without errors? I have access to both Windows and OSX if that helps. I did manage to make an error-free pdf-X in OSX, but the quality is lower and it seems to use different fonts, etc.

If the original files contain errors combining them won't make it easier. What are the sources of your PDFs, you say you combine them in Acrobat, but that is not their source. How were they originally created. There are many PDF generators and some follow stricter code than others.

One way that MAY work is to export the whole PDF to distiller and then redestill (re-fry) the file. There is no guarantee though.

Whenever I print it there are all kinds of random errors at random points depending which program I use (even Acrobat won't touch it, and it created it).

Are the errors when printing direct to a printer or RIP (what type of printer, RIP etc) or to a PostScript file?

Have you tried printing in batches of smaller amounts of pages, say 10x100?

I used to get "binder" files from clients that would have some pages that were OK, other pages would have errors when printing. As Lukas states, this is usually due to the original PDF files not being of consistent quality before they were combined in say Acrobat Pro. As a last resort the problem pages sometimes had to be printed from Acrobat Pro "as image" (600 ppi or higher) rather than as PostScript. The print as image command is "sticky" and one has to remember to turn it off again after it is used (not the best option).

Can I convert it to an error-free pdf?

Try to do a save as from acrobat to PDF, which can remove junk and reduce file size.

Try to do a "PDF Optimizer" step from Acrobat, selecting the various settings as desired to simplify the file (this will likely take a long time).

Try to use Acrobat Pro to save as .ps or to export to .ps or .eps (transparency will of course be flattened). Then distill the .ps/.eps to PDF. This could be done from the 1000 page PDF, however you may have better luck doing this from the original PDF files before recreating and recombining the refried PDF files.

Yes, this can take a lot of time.

There are of course many other non Adobe PDF options out there. As you mentioned, using say Apple Preview or Apple Automator will likely reduce the quality of the PDF files. Other options that could be explored include:

Document management, PDF reader, PDF creator, PDF editor
gDoc Creator
Nitro PDF Software — Create & Edit PDF Files
PDF Split and Merge
Merge PDF files. Free download. [A-PDF.com]
Adolix Split Merge PDF - free pdf combine, append pdf freeware, split pdf files
(and more by using appropriate web search keywords)

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
In my experience, the "Combine PDF" tool in Acrobat is extremely error prone. This is particularly true when dealing with files that have subset fonts.

You can often get a solid file out, though, by remaking the sub-files so that there is no font embedding whatsoever, combining the files, and then properly embedding the fonts after the fact.

If you choose to take the "print as Image" route, and you only want one copy then send it in batches printing maybe 25 pages at a time. The process takes alot of computer power and can hang if you choose to print too many pages.

If you need to make multiple copies of the PDF I would suggest you pick up a tool called PDF Redirect at this link. PDF reDirect - The free PDF Creator alternative to pdf995, cutepdf and freepdf. PDF Redirect makes a "printer" available that produces PDF's. Here again, choose print as image in small batches. Once you have the the multiple PDFs made, you can merge them using PDF Redirect or Adobe Pro.

You can then take the reconstituted PDF and print it as needed making sure that you do not use the print as image option.

I've had a lot of luck with this procedure.

I suspect that JoshB has hit upon the problem. Get a couple of different subsets of any font in the file and you can wind up with a good, old-fashioned font conflict.

In my experience, the "Combine PDF" tool in Acrobat is extremely error prone. This is particularly true when dealing with files that have subset fonts..

What "experience" is that? With what version(s) of Adobe Acrobat?

What do you believe the problem with "subset fonts" is?

If you believe there is an issue with our software, we'd certainly like to know about it. However, document assembly/combine is one of the top three features of Acrobat used by our customers and if there really were such problems as you believe - we'd had heard.

So please do let us know the details and how to reproduce!

thanks!

I suspect that JoshB has hit upon the problem. Get a couple of different subsets of any font in the file and you can wind up with a good, old-fashioned font conflict.

Sorry Rich - but that's simply wrong!

The PDF standard (since version 1.0!) has FULLY SUPPORTED the concept of multiple versions of a font (be it full or subset embedded) in a PDF - even on the same page (let alone the same document). Such documents can be viewed, printed, and processed correctly by tools that follow the standard.

leonardr, sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I have dozens of examples of this problem. I've submitted quite a few error cases to Adobe, but not on this issue, because when I get the files they've already been combined. I couldn't offer anything that would help a programmer reproduce the problem.

It's got to be one of the top ten issues that I see however. Font corruption due to Acrobat combine is /much/ more common than even font corruption from 3rd party PDF producers.

It may have been fixed at this point for all I know. One of the interesting things about working in this industry is that you often get files that are ten years old, or get a new file from someone using Acrobat 5.

Sometimes you will get better results with an imposition software like preps, where you set up your run list rather than combine the files in Acrobat.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back