How do you Score your proofs to show clients?

bgardner

Hello Friends - We do a lot of digital work, such as perfect bound books, saddle stitch books, wrap around covers for Wire-O books etc. The question I have is does anyone have any tips to score card stock for folding thats done by hand since its just one copy to make a proof? Usually we use the back of an X-acto knife, but it tends to crack and rip a lot, and clients usually complain. I also tried a pizza cutter once but that seem to fail.

I am open to all suggestions!

Thanks!

contact your local die making shop.... have them create a scoring bar for you and a wooden crease tool also.

simple.

We've got a manual creaser from Morgana that works very well. No cracking on digital.

Morgana Products Creasers DocuCrease 35 - 52

I've seen copy-cat creasers on Ebay for considerably less than what I paid for the Morgana. Don't know if they work as well or not.

RB Sun Enterprises has a manual crease/perf unit. Never tried one so I don't know how well it works:

RB Sun Enterprises - A World leader in Business Card Slitters

Wizer Lasco has a manual rotary score that can also perf. Cheaper than the Morgana but may not work as well on digital since it's a rotary score:

LasscoWizer

We use a dental pick bought at a local army navy surplus type store. We file down the tip to be rounded.

Assuming you have a cutter....

Set the cutter depth for the distance from the edge of the sheet to the score.
Drop the clamp.
Butt a piece of chip board up to the clamp and tape it down the the cutting table.
Raise the clamp.
Insert piece to be scored.
Drop the clamp.
Done.

We do this all the time for short run stuff.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back