How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing

Yes I did export with native transparency. Like I said the PDF looks fine out of Quark, it's after trapping and ripping the problem shows up. If I place the bad PDF in InDesign and PDF it traps and rips perfect.

Would you be willing to post a PDF of the page you shared earlier? I'd like to run it through my rip and see what I get. I am merely curious because I've processed many a Quark job with Quark-generated drop shadows and haven't seen this issue.

Hi almaink, I've seen the same thing once before, very similar content; drop shadows on circles that overlap, default Prinergy Trapping was my cause, turned off the Trap part of the Refine and everything was fine.

Thanks Glenn I use Rampage though and there is no refine. Not trapping the page was not an option either.

We slowly converted files over time to Quark. Basically when we switched, we just started setting up all new jobs in indesign. Most jobs we have are new and not repeat prints save for stationary and business cards and those come at different frequency so we just converted as we needed to, it was never all at once. I still have Quark 8 but I can't remember the last time I opened a job up in Quark.

Senior members should proofread their posts before and after posting them: did you really mean to write that you "converted files over time to Quark?

Al

This is what I got with an Apogee rip using standard settings the first time out. Seems to be ok:

Capture.jpg

So it's the PDF trap engine then, figures. We are running version 12.1 of Rampage. I didn't try the old method because of the live transparency and time was an issue. Odd how refrying it through InDesign fixed whatever caused the problem.

So it's the PDF trap engine then, figures. We are running version 12.1 of Rampage. I didn't try the old method because of the live transparency and time was an issue. Odd how refrying it through InDesign fixed whatever caused the problem.

Not refrying as such, just reserving - refrying is generally understood to mean going to PS and Distilling, not just wrapping the PDF in a new PDF skin.

EDIT: Screenshot of a default 1st Refine/Normalise/Trap process from Kodak Prinergy Powerpack attached, no issues visible (APPE RIP).

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• prinergy-refine-trap copy.jpg
    prinergy-refine-trap copy.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I ran the pdf through our Nexus RIP, and it turned out fine, including the trapping. Usually when I have a problem ripping a pdf I place it into InDesign, and that always solves any issues. In this case I ran the pdf through our hot folder, and had no issues with it ripping.

-Sev

Years ago we were a Quark house. We made the switch to ID around 2007. We still use Quark (v9) for backlist reprints and such. One thing that Quark has that I really wish ID had is the ability to export seps to PDF. We are often needing to supply Text Black PDFs which will include text (of course) and sometimes spot channels within 4/c art. So turning off the Art layer and exporting a PDF is not always an option. This is one area where Quark beats ID, but probably the only area.

Years ago we were a Quark house. We made the switch to ID around 2007. We still use Quark (v9) for backlist reprints and such. One thing that Quark has that I really wish ID had is the ability to export seps to PDF. We are often needing to supply Text Black PDFs which will include text (of course) and sometimes spot channels within 4/c art. So turning off the Art layer and exporting a PDF is not always an option. This is one area where Quark beats ID, but probably the only area.

Did you try printing seperations to postscript and then distilling it . . . I just tried it and it gave me a 4 page pdf . ..

Sure, printing a .PS and distilling will work, but it would be nice to be able to just export - less steps involved.

I dunno . . . if you set up a print preset for it and a hot folder for distiller it would be about the same as using a pdf preset . . .. just sayin . . .

I always kept our production Macs (10 of them) up-to-date with the latest software.
I did this all the way through QuarkXPress 8.

When Quark 9 shipped, I only purchased 3 copies but only installed it on 2 machines. From then to today, I may have received two dozen or less files created in it.

After about 6 months of Quark 10 being out, we actually received a file built in it yesterday.
I haven't even bothered to purchase a copy yet, I asked to customer to back-save to version 9.

I will probably break down an purchase one copy of 10, but just one.

On the flip side, I started receiving Adobe CC files just a day or two after it was released.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back