How to increase digital print volume

AverroesDesign

Hi guys, spent a good 15-20 minutes posting yesterday and for some bizarre reason there is no message displaying in forum. Sadly my clipboard has been cleared so shall have to type again.

Anyhow, I own a small design agency here in "sunny" UK. In 2009 we invested in a Xerox DC242 with a high capacity feeder and a professional finisher as we wanted as much control over the work we produced as possible so wanted to do inhouse digital printing. We thought it would also bring in another revenue stream to the company which we could have really done with.

Nonetheless, the machine didnt really make us a great deal of money infact either broke even or acted as our loss leader where our markups on our design and consultancy would cover the odd little losses here and there.

I would say it was still a good investment in that it saved time as well as logistic issues however in recent times I have been more and more fascinated with the digital print industry. After visiting IPEX, FESPA and Sign & Digital I have been keen on wanting to expand our production side, of course at a steady pace. I would love to be able to get our DC242 to be running consistently on a single shift putting us in a position where we could invest in a more robust system. We are capable of a fair bit of print finishing in house and would love to be able to increase print volume.

Likewise, after all that spule once again ;) I were wondering if anyone is able to shed some light, offer some pointers, guidance or generally any help in which direction I need to go in order to do achieve my goal of increasing digital print runs for my business. It is a shame as I have great passion for production work but do not seem to be very busy on that front.

All help would be appreciated guys,

Thank you all in advance

Sell more work. That's really the only answer. The digital fairy will not show up, no matter how hard you wish for it.

Hi Craig,

thank you for your reply. Selling more is of course a no brainer however my point is, are there any particular strategies other digital printers implement in selling more. Would you say employing an account manager, web to print, generic ecommerce website etc. I need to implement something where im not wasting money willy nilly.

Cheers

Hi Craig,

thank you for your reply. Selling more is of course a no brainer however my point is, are there any particular strategies other digital printers implement in selling more. Would you say employing an account manager, web to print, generic ecommerce website etc. I need to implement something where im not wasting money willy nilly.

Cheers

I am not Craig (nor Groot)

Partner with a printshop that does not have your skills/capabilities. It would likely be more cost/resource effective of them to subcontract the work to you rather than build an equivalent facility in their own shop. It would also be easier for you than to try marketing and sales to bring in work.

Haha Groot,

Thank you so much for your reply buddy. I never really thought of that before. My only concern is. Lets say I partner up someone that does bring me a large volume of work to the extent i even tie into a deal with something better than what I already have for argument sake a Ricoh 901. However suddenly they pull the plug on us or decide to produce in house, then Id be lumbard with unused resources. A fantastic idea though and one I am going to look into actually however is there something I can do with my business that could directly link the end customer to myself as opposed to middle man?

:)

Haha Groot,

Thank you so much for your reply buddy. I never really thought of that before. My only concern is. Lets say I partner up someone that does bring me a large volume of work to the extent i even tie into a deal with something better than what I already have for argument sake a Ricoh 901. However suddenly they pull the plug on us or decide to produce in house, then Id be lumbard with unused resources. A fantastic idea though and one I am going to look into actually however is there something I can do with my business that could directly link the end customer to myself as opposed to middle man?

:)

That's the cynical view. But think of it a different way. Most printshops have some basic bindery equipment but subcontract anything more complex to a dedicated bindery shop. Are the dedicated bindery shops concerned that their client printshops will put in more sophisticated equipment and thereby pull the work away? I don't think so.
You need to understand what value you bring to the market. You say you are a design consultancy. Do you do marketing? Do you use your digital press to just print or do you exploit the fact that it can do variable data? If you have such skills, do the other printshops in your area also have that capability? If not, is that a vacuum you could fill? Most printshops that I'm aware of do not have marketing skills or capability. If they go into digital as a marketing tool they usually set up a separate company or subcontract.
Just putting marks on a substrate is a low value business proposition with little ability to differentiate and where there is a lot of well established competition.
Adding value - e.g. marketing/design expertise broadens the scope of business and sale opportunities.
Don't get too tied up with the equipment side. Anyone can buy an output box. Instead, get involved with how you can add value and differentiate.

I have question please can anyone tell me that what is the biggest size digital we can get?

In my experience the easiest way to increase any type of print volume is to make a lot of mistakes . . . . and then to reprint them correctly. . . lol :)

Reminds me of one of Gordo's early Reprint cartoons about job security (the cartoon has disappeared though).

But here's another good one on getting business.

http://media.printplanet.com/images/174-Sales-Strategies.jpg

This one?

JobSecurity_zpsea6e3f3e.jpg

Hi guys thank you so much for your input really do appreciate it. Variable data has cross my mind but I had always wondered what type of clients would require decent numbers in print where I would need to benefit by introducing a variable data service/capability

Sales and customer service is the key, there will always be someone out there that can do the same job, probably cheaper as well! We have 2 Igens and nuveras, 75s etc and will beat you hands down with quality volume and speed, we can do the same work as you and probably more with variable data, large sheet size etc. But we have hardly any sales presence, relying on contract work and repeat business. You need to get out there build relationships, target local businesses etc. Walk down the high street, local business park etc, offer solutions to these people you will be surprised what you can get. Go get 'em!

Hi AJR, thank you so much for your advice buddy. I think I do need to go out there myself and start seeing these customers. I thought there may have been an avenue that I were unaware of however I think it does all come down to hard graft sales and niche services.

Three words. Network,Network and Network. Join a local "BNI" chapter. Time consuming and not cheap but I get approx 30% of my work either directly or indirectly threw bni. Business network international. It's all about relationships. Nothing beats it. ta Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back