How to Pantone on colored papers?

Dario

Hi there,
I'd like to ask you about your working methods...

I have clients that come here asking to print some XYZ Pantone on yellowish, or blueish, or grayish papers (not the white one used in the color guides)...
Maybe the Pantone they ask for is "C" and the colored paper is kind of "U" too.

In your everyday job... what to you say to clients like these?
Or what do you do when you have to create a color sample (or hard proof) of a Pantone on colored paper?
Or what do you do to get something as close as possible to what you can actually print on your machines?
Any hints?

Regards 🙂

Hi there,
I'd like to ask you about your working methods...

I have clients that come here asking to print some XYZ Pantone on yellowish, or blueish, or grayish papers (not the white one used in the color guides)...
Maybe the Pantone they ask for is "C" and the colored paper is kind of "U" too.

In your everyday job... what to you say to clients like these?
Or what do you do when you have to create a color sample (or hard proof) of a Pantone on colored paper?
Or what do you do to get something as close as possible to what you can actually print on your machines?
Any hints?

Regards 🙂
print on white til you get correct color then switch paper, take a measurement, use that LAB value as reference

Because inks are transparent, base color of paper will effect/change the final color.
You could print PMS over opaque white underneath it, extra costs.
You could formulate ink to be opaque, extra costs.
You could use ink color matching software to compensate for paper color, some gamut limitations.
Some large ink companies have a free printed sample (educational/marketing) that shows same color ink printed on several different types of white paper, all look different because of paper.

You don't.
Farm out the job to a printer with appropriate equipment, match the colour paper to the background ink and adjust the Pantone to CMYK. Otherwise you're on a fools errand. For example; what happens when the customer returns next month and wants a different colour paper.
First rule; only a darker colour can overprint. But even that has limitations. You can print blue paper with back ink, or a darker blue, but that's about it. Inks are transparent. That's how process colour works.

Some large ink companies have a free printed sample (educational/marketing) that shows same color ink printed on several different types of white paper, all look different because of paper.
Just like this one! See attachments. (01 is front cover, 02 are the actual swatches of paper printed with the same red ink) Feel free to show your customer.
RED_00001.jpgRED_00002.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back