How to reproduce halftone gradients

MarktheShark1

I am currently trying to reproduce a gradient which i have a very high res scan of (9600dpi). The closest thing i have been able to come up with at that small of a level is applying a halftone "filter" from a Illustrator extension called phantasm. How ever i am running into a problem when i print. I have a HP - Photosmart Premium Touchsmart Web Multifunction Printer which claims it can print up to 9600dpi in color. When ever i print it will not print the exact size dots i have in the illustrator file and looks very blurry and not even close to the original. Any idea what im doing wrong here?:)

Sounds like a very special case. What substrate are you producing on expecting to get 9600dpi? We do not have any equipment of that kind. Paper or plates we use will not get there, I only seen that kind of resolution on slide/film recorders, and they had a halo effect wich would not give you the sharpness for halftone only for contone.

A multifunction printer would not have that preceission. And neither would it's paper. Are you sure you are reading correct? I think the spec you are quoting is to do with the multi function of scanning. (usually limited to a slide or negative at about a square inch)

Lukas is correct. The printer does not have the precision you are looking for. Plus traditional halftone screens are very different from inkjet screens. You might try printing directly from Illustrator to the printer without halftone filter from Phantasm.

HP site specs:
Black print resolution
Up to 600 x 600 dpi

Color print resolution
Up to 9600 x 2400 dpi optimized with 2400 input dpi

Printnewb

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back