How Would You Do This Job?

kdw75

Our largest client has decided to change their monthly catalog from a basic saddle stitched booklet to something more complicated. We currently print these digitally, 2-up pre-collated then trim and hand feed into our Plockmatic booklet maker. Now they are switching to saddle stitched books with multiple tabs dividing the sections. Meaning we can't use our Plock and will have to revert to offline folding, then hand collating and stitching. I am curious if any of the booklet makers allow for books with multiple tabs in them.

keith1

I faced a similar issue with a customer who had been using tabs since before I took over the printing. He wanted to cut costs so I suggested rather than the tabs, print a border down the face edge of each page front & back. The colour of the border is different for each section and it's easy to see the differing colour for each section. Or you could even do the same but with just a 1 or 2 inch long border/block. These smaller blocks can be staggered for each section almost like tabs. Come to think of it, my car manual uses this method. Title of each section can be printed vertically down the border.
These books were cerlox (comb) bound but the same will work with saddle stitch.
Your customer will save a ton of money by not requiring tabs and you will save a ton of grief.
Just an idea. If your customer has bags of money to spend then you're stuck with the tabs.

kdw75

I faced a similar issue with a customer who had been using tabs since before I took over the printing. He wanted to cut costs so I suggested rather than the tabs, print a border down the face edge of each page front & back. The colour of the border is different for each section and it's easy to see the differing colour for each section. Or you could even do the same but with just a 1 or 2 inch long border/block. These smaller blocks can be staggered for each section almost like tabs. Come to think of it, my car manual uses this method. Title of each section can be printed vertically down the border.
These books were cerlox (comb) bound but the same will work with saddle stitch.
Your customer will save a ton of money by not requiring tabs and you will save a ton of grief.
Just an idea. If your customer has bags of money to spend then you're stuck with the tabs.
I secretly hoped the bid being quite a bit higher would help, but they have the money. I will suggest the colored edge blocks. I have seen those, but hadn't thought of suggesting it. Originally they were going to plasticoil bind them, which would make life easier for us, but then switched to saddle stitched.

Thank you for the suggestion!

pdan

You might have a sheet tabbed at both edges. You would want to crease for a hand fold while die cutting the tabs if so. I can't imagine machine folding a tabbed front edge.
What kind of qty?

Ynot_UK

Plasticoil offers the advantage in that the tabbed section dividers can be on a heavier stock, possibly laminated. I'd be inclined to make up some samples and try to steer it in this direction, away from saddle stitching (where I can't see how you could use a heavier stock for the dividers as the opposite side of the fold would be in the wrong place for heavy stock, unless all sections were the same number of pages, which is highly unlikely).

Magnus59

These jobs are a PITA. We have the sheets die cut leaving the fore edge in place, then hand collate and feed the collated books into the stitcher, folder on the Horizon collator to stitch, fold & do the final fore edge trim.

Print In the Eye of the Buyer

Canon White Paper
THREE PART SERIES:
FREE DOWNLOADS

Print In the
Eye of the Buyer

Download Free White
Papers Here