How to stitch A4 landscape booklet (short run of 10)

sidneykidney

I need to print and make up 10 x A4 landscape bookets (A4 landscape 16 pages on 250gsm Silk). I can print a long sheet on my Xerox Versant 80 and score each sheet if required
My Duplo booklet maker is too short to stitch an A4 landscape book, so does anyone have any tips on how I can accurately stitch the book together by hand or using some type of jig.
I have a long arm stapler which is long enough to reach the centre of a 640mm sheet. I will then fold the whole book in half and 3 knife trim on my guillotine.

I would fold each sheet then collate them if its just 10 booklets. That way you know the exact spine placement when using the long arm stapler and will have a flatter laying book. We used to have a problem with a booklet maker missing staples every now and then. We kept a long arm around just to finish out some. It did folded booklets just fine.

I would fold each sheet then collate them if its just 10 booklets. That way you know the exact spine placement when using the long arm stapler and will have a flatter laying book. We used to have a problem with a booklet maker missing staples every now and then. We kept a long arm around just to finish out some. It did folded booklets just fine.
Thanks, that was one of the problems because once you punch a staple, you can't tell beforehand if centred on the spine. I tried to build a jig out of wood and mark a feint line on the top sheet for position of staple but its always hit and miss.

Something like this is helpful if you continue to hand staple books.

Something like this is helpful if you continue to hand staple books.
We have one of these, they are great but for A4 landscape books you'll need to almost roll up one side for it to fit through that clamp area at the bottom.
Easily doable but would be take a while on longer runs.

We have one of these, they are great but for A4 landscape books you'll need to almost roll up one side for it to fit through that clamp area at the bottom.
Easily doable but would be take a while on longer runs.
I completely forgot about that! A few years ago a co-worker took it home and welded longer pieces on for us. He even added flames as a joke since he has a vinyl cutter at home.

Attachments

• stitcher.jpg
    stitcher.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 268
I need to print and make up 10 x A4 landscape bookets (A4 landscape 16 pages on 250gsm Silk). I can print a long sheet on my Xerox Versant 80 and score each sheet if required
My Duplo booklet maker is too short to stitch an A4 landscape book, so does anyone have any tips on how I can accurately stitch the book together by hand or using some type of jig.
I have a long arm stapler which is long enough to reach the centre of a 640mm sheet. I will then fold the whole book in half and 3 knife trim on my guillotine.
Build a relationship with a local commercial print shop where they will have and old fashioned wire stitching machine, they will probably do them at no charge for you, especially if you can offer to do the occasional favour for them in return.

I completely forgot about that! A few years ago a co-worker took it home and welded longer pieces on for us. He even added flames as a joke since he has a vinyl cutter at home.
I have this exact stapler as well and you've just read my mind. I always thought about doing what you've showed but had no idea how to. I might show a local metal works company your picture and ask for one of these!!! ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back